Automation: Can I Customize the Alert Message based on Status in a Single Workflow?

Options

I am working on a ticketing system and would like to set up an automation to notify the submitter when their ticket's status changes but I'd like to customize the alert message depending on the status that the ticket was changed to. Is it possible to do this in one workflow? Or would I need to create a workflow for each ticket status in order to customize the message?

For example:

If status changes to "In Progress" then send an alert to submitter where the alert says "Your ticket is In Progress, expect an update in 3 days"

If status changes to "Closed" then send an alert to submitter where the alert says "Your ticket is has closed. Please submit a new ticket if the issue persists."

Tags:

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can create a single workflow with multiple conditions (one per status) and use different messages for each condition. Otherwise, you would need to put the dynamic text into your sheet and use IF functions to display the correct text based on the Status, then have that text inserted into the message.

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can create a single workflow with multiple conditions (one per status) and use different messages for each condition. Otherwise, you would need to put the dynamic text into your sheet and use IF functions to display the correct text based on the Status, then have that text inserted into the message.

• katie.dickinson
    Options

I found that if I add the conditions vertically (Trigger>Condition 1>Alert Someone>Condition 2>Alert Someone) that Condition 2 would not trigger the alert and when I use the Otherwise option, I can only set up 2 conditions when I have 8 statuses. The dynamic text option was functional but made the way the automation worked less transparent to the future sheet owner.

I opted to make an automation for each status.