Can Bridge Publish a Dashboard?

Options

I'm working on a team member onboarding solution, and it needs to be automated as much as possible to avoid delays.

Once a team member is approved for hire, I'll automatically spin up a new hire project in SCC, which includes a dashboard with resources for that specific new hire. I would love to have it populate the published dashboard link to my summary sheet, rather than just the direct dashboard url. We do not want to ask our new hires to set up Smartsheet accounts until they start work with us.

I would love if there was a workflow that could grab the direct dashboard url from my summary sheet, publish that dashboard with the option "Available to anyone with the link," and populate the Publish Link to another column on my summary sheet.

Does anyone have ideas on whether that is possible?

Thank you!

@Brian_Richardson @Samuel Mueller @Genevieve P.

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

@Julie Fortney Yup! Should be able to. You would have to use Call API. Smartsheet - Official API and SDK Documentation (redoc.ly)

I auto publish reports with bridge, put the link in a cell, and datamesh it to places I want people to be able to access it.

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers
    Options

@Samuel Mueller Looks like it is finally time for me to spread my wings and venture beyond the Smartsheet modules!

Thanks - it is very helpful to know it's possible before I enter unknown territory. 😄

• Samuel Mueller
    edited 02/27/24
    Options

@Julie Fortney you got this! I'd be happy to walk you through it as well, just let me know. This would not be a complicated api call

• Samuel Mueller
    Options

This is the old utility so yours will look a bit different, but this is the basics. this is for a report, not a dashboard, but the body would be similar

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers
    Options

Very helpful!! I'm making progress, but I think I need the dashboard ID, and I don't know how to retrieve it. Even the Get Dashboard method seems to require a dashboard ID to execute. I can grab the dashboard url from my intake sheet, but that doesn't seem to work as a reference in the API Call Endpoint.

• Samuel Mueller
    edited 02/27/24
    Options

If it's a control center project, you can put a link to the dashboard in profile data and the dashboard ID should carry through when you do the get row.

So in your metadata sheet add profile data called dashboard link (Or whatever), and then link to another smartsheet and choose the toolkit dashboard. Then add that field to your portfolio summary sheet in control center, then when you do the get row, the dashboard id should be included.

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers
    edited 02/28/24
    Options

You can also do the List Dashboards call to find the id. It’s just a GET of /sights . Of course, then you have to parse the list….

If you know the folder or workspace you can list the contents which I think should include the IDs of the items including the dashboards.

Sam's method of using the internal hyperlink is very clever.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers
    Options

Sorry throwing ideas out here- if Sam’s method doesn’t fit the bill then you could also use the Search API (GET /search) and use the scopes parameter to limit the search to “sightNames”. Search for the dashboard name which hopefully you know from something else, and you should get back a result with the id.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN