IMS to to do RAIL sheet

Options

My IMS has a list of Critical Items that I would like tracked in a RAIL sheet

Task Name, Start, Finish and Assigned to,

Currently I have been coping and pasting these values into my RAIL

my RAIL sheet column are

Task name, Assigned to, Start date, Due date, Notes, Priority

I currently use my RAIL to track meeting minutes action. I want the RAIL to track both my meeting actions and IMS if its not possible I can change it.

what formula can I use to copy these or should I use Automation.

*beginner at smartsheets

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Rose Eze

You can use a copy row automation to copy data to the RAIL and keep it located within the IMS as well.

When I have the same data stored in multiple locations, I use a helper column to check if the data already exists in the target sheet. A COUNTIF() function works great. Set the condition so that it copies data when the count is 0.

This prevents a row being copied over multiple times.

If you want the row copied over multiple times then I recommend finding a different condition depending on your end game. If that automation runs on the entire sheet every time it's triggered, you may get a lot of copied rows and have no idea which is priority or valid data.

Future enhancements could be to have an update request sent when the due date is met and tasks haven't been noted as complete. Or, when a task is assigned, have a notification sent to the person it's assigned to.

• Rose Eze
    Rose Eze
    edited 02/27/24
    Options

@MichaelTCA lets say in the RAIL has information in ROW 1-15, if I run an automation would this override whats already in ROW 1-15. Also if I run the automation every month would it update or override.

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/28/24
    Options

@Rose Eze

Smartsheet will not overwrite what's already in the rows, only add it to the list. This is why monitoring for duplicate information can be necessary.

The update or add portion of the automation only pertains to the trigger and not the actions. The conditions will be the key in your situation.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!