Do Update Requests ignore row locks

Options

I am using quite a few workflows to automate a sheet. There can be situations where a row Update Request has gone to someone and before they respond to it another action causes the row to be locked.

We've tested this scenario and it seems that the Update Request can be completed and the row is updated even though it is locked.

Do you know if this is expected behavior?

Answers

• Joe Goetschel
    Joe Goetschel ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not sure if it is expected behavior but, I would assume it is correct.

Since the update request feature allows you to collect updates even if the user is not shared to the sheet, it would make sense that it bypasses the lock.

What I would do is whatever automation is locking the row, I would add another column (Check box) that also checks the box with an additional action.

Then you can edit the conditions on the automation that sends out the Update request to not send to any row that is checked.

If you need any help let me know!

Joe Goetschel | Smartsheet Director | SCS CLOUD - Smartsheet Partner

joe.goetschel@scscloud.com

Save My Contact

"The only real limitation of Smartsheet is the level of effort required to achieve your goal."

• TrevorJC18
    Options

Thanks for your answer on this.

As a follow-up, do you know if there is a way to have a workflow delete an update request? It doesn't seem that there is.

• Joe Goetschel
    Joe Goetschel ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@TrevorJC18 Not that I know of. MAYBE with the API you could do this. Typically my clients like to see them all because it acts like an accountability tool. "Look how many times I have asked for this"

If I find anything in the API I will let you know!

Joe Goetschel | Smartsheet Director | SCS CLOUD - Smartsheet Partner

joe.goetschel@scscloud.com

Save My Contact

"The only real limitation of Smartsheet is the level of effort required to achieve your goal."