Dynamic view attachments and comments

Options

I have a dynamic view that is shared to users outside our organization. I had the option to attached docs and also comment turned on.

The issue I am running into is that all of the outside users can see the other users' comments and attachments. This is a problem because the attachments should only be viewed by our company.

I need to keep the attachments with the row that has the project.

The big move to this process was to stop getting all the emails with attachments.

Help!

Mark

Tags:

Best Answer

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/27/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MarkCep , That's a tough one for sure... and bumps up against the limits of what SS can do.

While a bit clumsy, have you considered creating a separate sheet that would essentially be a "document" center for your suppliers? This sheet could have a separate row for each project/supplier combination. Therefore it would have multiple rows for each project. Then your dynamic view for the supplier would only display the attachments and comments for that supplier. You could use cross sheet references to pull in other data that you would like the supplier to see.

Then, you could use a report to bring that sheet along with your internal project sheet into a singular view. Creative formatting and sorting could set it up so that it looks like you have a "parent" row (the internal project record) with children rows that represent each of the suppliers. I believe you could build a dynamic view off of this report for your internal audience so that they can see everything (or just let them view the report). Then... it would be clear whose attachments/comments belong to whom and who would be able to see what.

I'm sure there are a number of technical downsides to this, but at least it would offer a way for you to segment the communications to the appropriate audiences.

I hope this sparks some additional ideas. Good luck and be well!

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

Answers

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @MarkCep , Would it be acceptable to create two dynamic views, one for your internal audience and one for the external audience? You could then create different experiences for each.

Be well

If my response was helpful or answered your question please be sure to upvote it, mark it asawesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• MarkCep
    MarkCep ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Scott Orsey unfortunately not, the issue is not internal. I have suppliers that provide proposals and comments about individual projects in dynamic view. There could be 30+ suppliers submitting documents/proposals per project.

I wish there was a way for the supplier to attach a document but not see any other communication on the project.

I also looked at initiating a request, but the request goes out with a link to the sheet, so that does not work either. The end user who does not have any permission to the underlying sheet would not see and then get a prompt to request for access, I have been there with another solution, and it frustrates and confuses the end user.

Thank you for the response.

• Scott Orsey
    Scott Orsey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/27/24 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @MarkCep , That's a tough one for sure... and bumps up against the limits of what SS can do.

While a bit clumsy, have you considered creating a separate sheet that would essentially be a "document" center for your suppliers? This sheet could have a separate row for each project/supplier combination. Therefore it would have multiple rows for each project. Then your dynamic view for the supplier would only display the attachments and comments for that supplier. You could use cross sheet references to pull in other data that you would like the supplier to see.

Then, you could use a report to bring that sheet along with your internal project sheet into a singular view. Creative formatting and sorting could set it up so that it looks like you have a "parent" row (the internal project record) with children rows that represent each of the suppliers. I believe you could build a dynamic view off of this report for your internal audience so that they can see everything (or just let them view the report). Then... it would be clear whose attachments/comments belong to whom and who would be able to see what.

I'm sure there are a number of technical downsides to this, but at least it would offer a way for you to segment the communications to the appropriate audiences.

I hope this sparks some additional ideas. Good luck and be well!

• MarkCep
    MarkCep ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, I am going to experiment with that idea.