Use a QR Code to start an Update Request?

Options

So I thought I was close with a solution to manage our fleet of vehicles. I created a sheet and used workflow generated update requests to get daily check in information from the assignee of a vehicle. Further, I used other workflows to change the status of the vehicle based on the check in. Also, included milage and service interval mileage tracking. I thought I was close until....

the company owner said "A request won't work. The technicians need to be able to grab ANY van and scan a QR code to open a form to enter the check in data.".

argh...

So my question is this - can anyone think of a way to use a QR code to start/request/workflow an update request (since a regular form can only add rows, not update them) to allow for updating a row?

My brain hurts...

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would have to set it up so the QR Code opens a form. You can have certain information pre-filled based on the URL linked to the QR Code and use a helper flag column to flag the most recent entry for each vehicle then use a report to show only those most recent entries or cross sheet formulas to pull the most recent entry into a master sheet if needed.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @cbsarge

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Paul's excellent advice/answer.

Another option could be to combine a form with the URL-Query feature and then have a cross-sheet formula collect the information from the other sheet. You could also have the QR Code open a form and have it pre-populated, and then we could trigger an update request by submitting the form.

Make sense?

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• cbsarge
    cbsarge ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Andrée. Can you provide some detail on using a QR code to open a prepopulated form that triggers an update request?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!