How to Send Automated Email to Address Captured in a Form?

Options

I'm setting up a help desk ticketing tracker. The help desk team takes calls from users and captures information in a Smartsheet form, which populates a sheet. The sheet autogenerates a ticket number. I want to automate an email to the caller's address, which was entered in the form.

I was able to do this by setting up an automation. But the only way I found to make it work was if the caller's email column in the sheet is a Contact List. I recently learned that the length of the contact list is very limited, and will fill up quickly.

I'm looking for a way to automatically generate an email to the caller once the ticket number has been generated. And send another notification to the caller once the ticket is closed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best Answer

• Gillian C
    Gillian C ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think you should be ok as it is.

If your helpdesk is completing a form for each caller, this means that each issue has it's own separate row entry and there is only one user email contained in the Contact List cell for that row.

There is a limit to of 20 contacts in a cell within in a Contact List column. This would only be an issue if the helpdesk tried to take more than 20 email addresses for the same form.

So you should be able to have the notification automation run as it is, and set up a similar one when the closure date is populated.

Hope this helps?

Answers

• Gillian C
    Gillian C ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think you should be ok as it is.

If your helpdesk is completing a form for each caller, this means that each issue has it's own separate row entry and there is only one user email contained in the Contact List cell for that row.

There is a limit to of 20 contacts in a cell within in a Contact List column. This would only be an issue if the helpdesk tried to take more than 20 email addresses for the same form.

So you should be able to have the notification automation run as it is, and set up a similar one when the closure date is populated.

Hope this helps?

• Jeff Wigen
    Options

Thank you for the answer and insight, Gillian! The help desk team will only enter one email address for each caller. The automations worked great in test. I'm glad to know that my concern shouldn't be an issue moving forward. 😀