Recurring Tasks

Options

Hello I am setting up a smartsheet that will be used to track all the recurring task we have to do in a year. The frequency at which these repeat vary drastically so I wanted to see how one would format their sheet to account for this.

For example I have a task that needs to be done the Monday following all major holidays (Christmas, 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc). I also have some that need to be completed every quarter so I would make the deadline the last workday of a quarter. I want to automate the deadline date to change automatically based on the frequency I set.

Is there an easy way to format this or any recommendations you would have when creating this sheet? Thank you!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @gestep

What I would personally do here is have different sections of the sheet set up for your recurring alerts. Then pre-fill all the rows for the year with dates.

So, all the Monday tasks in a group under a specific header, with their date selected in a date column (versus having this date cell in one row continually updated). Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• gestep
    Options

Hello @Genevieve P.

Thank you for your response. I think I am confused as to how the "due date" field would then update. Here below I have provided a screenshot to how my sheet is set up based on my interpretation of your suggestion.

I currently have the checkbox set up so when it gets clicked, the last completed date field will automatically update with the date that the box was checked. I then have another automation that will automatically clear that checkmark once a certain amount of days have pasted. I am just confused how you would then formulate the due date field to show the due date that applies most if these tasks are supposed to be done at different times.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @gestep

My apologies for not being clear; I was suggesting to manually fill out all the dates ahead of time, so no automated updates to the date fields. Something like this, with headers and sections to easily expand/collapse as tasks are completed.

Currently Smartsheet has a "Record a Date" workflow that will record today's date, but it does not record a date in the future.

With your set-up, you could use a formula to add a specific number of days onto the recorded date (the checkbox date) based on what's in your Occurrence column.

For example:

=IF(Occurrence@row = "Annually", [Due Date 1]@row + 365, IF(Occurrence@row = "Quarterly", [Due Date 1]@row + 91

And so on.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!