Contact List Drop Down w/o Share

—I have sort of a database sheet with many columns. Depending on who you are i create a report that just displays the columns you care about. One of those columns is who requested the task (when filling out the smartsheet form). I want to add specific users from my list of users but do NOT want to share the underlying database sheet with them.

possible?

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Billymacdo

To clarify, you are wanting to display a contact that is contained in a column, for example the Created By name?

If this is correct, yes, you can add the column and the report will pull the data like any other column. The data is not dependent on who is shared to the sheet but the filter that is used.

The ability to view the data in the report however, is dependent on how you wish to share the data, especially if you are trying to use 'Current User' to make the data specific to the user. Published reports/dashboards cannot determine who the current user is. Unpublished dashboards may be able to determine the user, depending on how the dashboard is set up.

Can you share how the user accesses the report? If you are sending the user a link to a specific published report, the user will be able to see the entire report without requiring access.

Kelly

• ummm…
    —i have a sheet - called "data base". there is a column called "requester" with a column type = Conact List
    —i want to add a contact as one of the choices, lets say "Bob Johnson"
    —BUT i do NOT want to share the sheet "data base" with Bob.

Right now i am only able to add contacts that i have already shared the sheet with

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Billymacdo

If you are a licensed admin or above to a sheet, you should be able to add whomever you choose to a dropdown list.

Are you trying to add more names via the form list? This list will only allow you to add the names already added to the column list. To add other names, edit the list in the column properties

Does this work for you?
    Kelly

• Below is a snipit of my users -

see Adam, Adam, and Brian

this is what i see when setting the column type to Contact List

Adam, Adam and Brian are not options. how do i make them appear as choices in the contact list?