Ideas/help creating a production schedule

We as a company have been using smartsheet for over 5 years. We have built out a schedule with many reports and custom dashboards. The schedule uses formulas to creates dates for milestones. If you put in a project that has an install date 8 weeks out it will correctly populate the dates for each milestone. We manufacture cabinets and anything else that can be made from wood. A large percentage of our work is cabinets. We have automated saws, routers and other equipment that each piece must run through. Each process is currently getting a due date.

I would like to have a separate sheet that allows us to elaborate more on those due dates. Create a start date/range that can be edited to meet that due date. I have thought about this and I'm sure we need some way of quantifying the project so it knows how long it takes at each process. I'm unsure how to structure all of this so it works with our current sheets and helps us schedule our production.

Currently we are just scheduling by the install date. We have no way of telling the operators when they should be starting a project. We need to see capacity so we know when we need to move projects around to prevent bottle necks.

Answers