Ideas/help creating a production schedule

Options

We as a company have been using smartsheet for over 5 years. We have built out a schedule with many reports and custom dashboards. The schedule uses formulas to creates dates for milestones. If you put in a project that has an install date 8 weeks out it will correctly populate the dates for each milestone. We manufacture cabinets and anything else that can be made from wood. A large percentage of our work is cabinets. We have automated saws, routers and other equipment that each piece must run through. Each process is currently getting a due date.

I would like to have a separate sheet that allows us to elaborate more on those due dates. Create a start date/range that can be edited to meet that due date. I have thought about this and I'm sure we need some way of quantifying the project so it knows how long it takes at each process. I'm unsure how to structure all of this so it works with our current sheets and helps us schedule our production.

Currently we are just scheduling by the install date. We have no way of telling the operators when they should be starting a project. We need to see capacity so we know when we need to move projects around to prevent bottle necks.

Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

• How is your schedule currently formatted? Are you using separate Gantt charts for each job, or does each job sit as a row on a process sheet, or do you have separate sheets for each part of the process and the job moves from sheet to sheet?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Matt,

I hope you're well and safe!

Sounds interesting!

Which Smartsheet plan and add-ons do you have?

Can you share some screenshots? (Please delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing.) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my comment(s) help/answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community and me by marking it - Insightful 💡- Vote Up ⬆️ - Aweseome ❤️ - or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer! I appreciate it, thanks!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Matt@Stidham_Cabinet
    edited 06/04/24
    Options

Each project is a row in a sheet. We then have custom reports for each department to check off there part of the project. Each report is just expanding on the check boxes that are present in the master schedule shown in the first screenshot. I had a vacation scheduled right after I posted this. I apologize for the late reply. We have the business plan. Where do I look to find add-ons?