Conditional Formatting for a Modified By Column

I am trying to create an automation or formula to populate a cell. Here's the gist of what I am trying to accomplish:

Only when a completed box in a column is checked → I want to populate another cell in that row with the Current User who checked the box. I would like this to populate automatically through the use of a formula or automation.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Best Answer

• Spoonhead
    Spoonhead ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Addd three columns: "Completed" (Checkbox), "User Who Checked" (Text/Number), and a "Helper Column" (Dropdown with user names or emails).

Create an automation workflow that triggers when "Completed" is checked and updates the "Helper Column" with {{Modified by}}. Then, in the "User Who Checked" column, use the formula =[Helper Column]@row to display the value from the "Helper Column". This should then automatically populate the user who checked the box.

Answers

• Spoonhead
    Spoonhead ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Addd three columns: "Completed" (Checkbox), "User Who Checked" (Text/Number), and a "Helper Column" (Dropdown with user names or emails).

Create an automation workflow that triggers when "Completed" is checked and updates the "Helper Column" with {{Modified by}}. Then, in the "User Who Checked" column, use the formula =[Helper Column]@row to display the value from the "Helper Column". This should then automatically populate the user who checked the box.

• Andy_B
    Andy_B ✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to do this without manually populating the helper column with a drop down list of names/e-mails?

• Andy_B
    Andy_B ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Spoonhead

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!