Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Indenting not working right

Anthony Lunn
Anthony Lunn ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

See screenshot. When I indent my headers, the expand/minimize button is all the way to the right (circled in red). I would like it to be in the cell with the header label. I cannot figure out why it keeps putting it all the way at the end. 

Second- When I try to do additional indenting below that point, it doesn't seem to segment it where I want. For instance the multiple Neocom contacts- I would like for that to expand and contract as I add contacts.  

What am I missing?

Capture.PNG

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/21/17

It looks like your primary column was originally the Last Name column. Indenting works off your primary column key. Indenting works off of the Primary Column.

1) Rename your Last Name column to "Primary" (as a holder till you move the data). To do this Right-click on the column header and choose Edit Properties.

2) Create a new text/number column called Last Name to replace the column. 

3) Choose which column you want to be your roll-up column.

4) Copy and paste whichever information you want for the roll-up column into the "primary" column.

5) Move the Primary Column to the First position.

6) Delete the column you just emptied and Rename your primary column to its proper name. 

• Mike - you are the man! I did not realize there were "primary columns". Seems like you could appoint that column if you wanted. 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that would be nice if you could. But as this article highlights, you cannot change the primary column. You could request it! But I think, because the indenting functionality is baked into that column, it might be a bigger development feat then smartsheets wants to take on! :) You could request it as a Product Enhancement Request.

This discussion has been closed.