Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Select which columns to copy or move from one sheet to another

13»

Comments

• Sonya F
    Sonya F ✭✭

I would like an enhancement to automation that we can select certain columns to copy to another sheet. We only want to see the selected columns in the destination sheet.

• iLoveData
    iLoveData ✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/20/24

Title says it all. When I'm moving rows or columns to different sheets I'd like the ability to select which columns of information I'm moving. Not all of them are relevant to the other sheet and it adds for a lot of bloat and clutter. Especially because if I delete the columns on my new sheet when the next batch of rows comes in they re-add all the columns.

Michael - Alternative Delivery Analyst

Ames Construction

• KCI
    KCI ✭✭✭
    edited 06/21/24

This would be quite valuable!!

• ZennerJ
    ZennerJ ✭✭✭✭

Our sheets continued to get too big because we only have the option of moving the entire row (usually 30-45 columns or more). Because we are not able to choose which columns to copy/move, I found my own workaround I titled "Single Cell moves":

1. Single Cell sheet - copy the row to this sheet with automation rule(s) - allows for certain criteria to determine occurance.

2. Create a Mesh to move only the columns/cells you want on the new processing sheet (I usually only move the primary key/ID field and mesh in any other info from our primary database sheets - we have over 25 so it get's a little problematic to do these, but they rarely break).

3. Clear off the Single Cell Sheet once a day (I chose at 2am each day) to an "archive" sheet for the info

I have this work around in place for over 20 processing sheets. It works pretty well, and you don't have to worry about formulas or automations breaking to any great extent.

• Dan Wilson
    Dan Wilson ✭✭✭

It would be nice if in a Copy Row workflow action, you could select which columns to copy. This would allow for new entries on one sheet to create new rows in another related sheet, where the target sheet only needs partial information. Currently all columns are copied, and columns are created if they don't already exist in the target sheet, even if those columns are unwanted (or contain confidential data). This would reduce the need to enter data in one sheet, and then enter a unique identifier in another sheet, and then set up a Mesh to move only specific columns over.

• Amanda Fulbright
    Amanda Fulbright ✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/12/24

Yes! This workflow is incredibly valuable. I have noticed that it has been frequently requested on the forums, with suggestions for workarounds such as using vlookups and helper sheets. Implementing this feature would significantly enhance SmartSheet's functionality.

• Amanda Fulbright
    Amanda Fulbright ✭✭✭✭

Adding this feature would significantly enhance SmartSheet's functionality. It has been requested many times over the years. Do you have any updates on when we might see this feature rolled out?

• Miguel Bejarano
    edited 08/27/24

I just want copy some of the columns when moving a row in automatization section instead of all of them.

• Yes, please add the enhancement to move only selected columns. When moving all columns, it makes our destination sheet too large and cannot handle enough data with the current cell limitations. This would be a great improvement to help, especially if the increase on cell limits is still a long time coming.

• Cathy Salscheider
    Cathy Salscheider ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely would use this functionality. We have two different sheets for tracking enterprise and department level project portfolio, with different needs so we have different columns. They were intentionally set up to be different sheets. Due to the growing need to share some data between the sheets, we ended up copying some rows, which of course brought all of the extra source columns with it. We have some overlap in column names so some of the data that we did not want was brought in and now messes with our recipient column data. And we have a lot of "crap data" now in our recipient sheet.

Please implement this! thanks