How to export column properties with the column names

We are planning to redo our master IS and enterprise project sheets. My first step is to do an inventory on the current columns and determine what is useful and what is redundant. I am going to export to Excel for ease of use, but I really also need the data properties of each column. So, I am looking for a way to access this info.

Additionally, I'd love a way gather the contents from each form and each automation set up on the sheets, but I don't think that is possible.

I'm open for ideas. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers Alumni
    Answer ✓

Bridge is a tool you can use to leverage the Smartsheet API to do advanced things that cannot be done natively in the core product. One thing you can get from the API is the properties of a column, which you cannot pull in the core tool using any formulas. So if you’re looking for a way to get data on the properties of all columns, I’d recommend looking at Bridge.

Bridge won’t simply create an Excel for you, but what you could do is setup a sheet in which to list the columns from the sheet you’re interested in and paste various values about their properties. (Type, list of dropdown choices, format, etc)

Bridge can then read the column data from a sheet and then update rows in your reference sheet with that column data. Finally you can export that data one time through File…Export or regularly through Data Shuttle.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Brian_Richardson

Currently there's not a formulaic way to get to the column name or properties to put that data into a cell. The API will give you this information if you want to use Bridge or another tool to read and write that info into your sheet, then export the sheet with that information.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Cathy Salscheider
    Cathy Salscheider ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian, I was just not clear on what you are saying here:

"The API will give you this information if you want to use Bridge or another tool to read and write that info into your sheet"

We have existing sheets and I need to extract properties to Excel with the column names. It sounds like you are saying that I can use Bridge and it will pull out the data properties, but to a new sheet. Do I understand your response correct?

I don't think we have Bridge, but I will research it if you know that I can pull data properties with it. Thanks,

• Brian_Richardson
    Answer ✓

Bridge is a tool you can use to leverage the Smartsheet API to do advanced things that cannot be done natively in the core product. One thing you can get from the API is the properties of a column, which you cannot pull in the core tool using any formulas. So if you’re looking for a way to get data on the properties of all columns, I’d recommend looking at Bridge.

Bridge won’t simply create an Excel for you, but what you could do is setup a sheet in which to list the columns from the sheet you’re interested in and paste various values about their properties. (Type, list of dropdown choices, format, etc)

Bridge can then read the column data from a sheet and then update rows in your reference sheet with that column data. Finally you can export that data one time through File…Export or regularly through Data Shuttle.

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Cathy Salscheider
    Cathy Salscheider ✭✭✭✭✭

Got it … thanks. I don't think we have Bridges, but will check. I appreciate the detailed reply.