Linked Source Sheet Not Automatically Updating

Emmaa0712
Emmaa0712 ✭✭
edited 08/16/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am working on creating a sheet that utilized data from a master sheet via links. I am struggling because the new sheet is not automatically updating when new info is added from the master sheet which essentially makes it useless. Is there a way around this? For what I am trying to create, I need the full capabilities of a sheet vs just making a report.

Answers

• Kerry St. Thomas
    Kerry St. Thomas ✭✭✭✭✭

In order for formulas to update on a sheet with links, the sheet has to be somehow updated: the sheet has to be viewed, saved, or specific things that cause a change to the sheet itself. One thing I've used is the Record a Date automation on a separate sheet that records the current date each day early in the morning - and then I create a cross-sheet reference to what in your scenario sounds like your not-master sheet's Sheet Summary. So at the very least, something definitely changes on the sheet once a day, which forces recalculations. This way in the event nobody opens that sheet, any dashboards etc. that view its data will update.

Essentially, I'm suggesting Option 2 from this article:
    https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2482767-automatically-update-today-in-formulas

If this answer resolves your question, please help the Community by marking it as an accepted answer. I'd also be grateful for your response - "Insightful"or "Awesome" reactions are much appreciated. Thanks!

• Hi, I appreciate the response! Will this result in new cells from the master sheet automatically being added to the reference sheet or is this only a solution to getting the linked cells to update on a daily basis?

• NicoLHC
    NicoLHC ✭✭✭✭✭

@Emmaa0712 You can use a trigger to solve it . Is the issue resolved?

Kind regards

Meet me at Engage in Seattle !

Nico | LinkedIn

CEO | Lighthouse Consultings

🔴Certified Smartsheet Partner _______________________________________________

addvalue@lighthouseconsultings.com

💯 SCALEABLE Solutions Engineered by Lighthouse Consultings

We Don’t Just Implement Smartsheet; We Revolutionize How You Manage, Plan, And Execute.

🎥 YouTube 🚀TimeLine View

http://lighthouseconsultings.de/