Is there a way to make a workflow send the contents of a comment to a contact in a cell?

Hello,

My team uses smartsheet to track requests that come in via a form. We then use the comments section to log updates or closure information when it's time to close the request. Do you know if there is a way that I can create an automation that will send the comment contents to a contact in a cell? If this isn't possible, what is another way of doing it? Would it be creating a new field maybe titled "Closure Comments" and that is then sent?

Answers

• Jason P
    Jason P ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kholt

If you only want someone notified when a request is closed, you can set up an Alert automation.

1. Create a New Checkbox Column and name it "Close Off " this will be our trigger to distinguish the closing action from other log entries.
    2. Now set up an Alert automation and set the trigger: When rows are changed, the When “Close Off" is ticked and leave Run workflow as When triggered, this will ensure the alert is sent only when request is ticked “Close Off”.
    3. In the Alert section select the Send to that works for you from the drop down, add a subject line for the alert to make it stand out from other alerts. In the message body, use placeholders {{column name }} to automatically pull in data from other cells on that row to make it relevant to the reader on what to do or other.
    4. Finally set Message Includes: Links to sheet and specific fields, from the drop down select A Comment.. OR skip this and add comment via a place holder in the message {{Close Off}}

Process wise. The rep actioning the row adds a final comment, saves the sheet then ticks “Close Off” and saves or refreshes sheet. Adding the comment and save/refresh first ensures sheets saves latest inputs before sending the alert..

Hope I understood the assignment and this works for you?

Cheers.