Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Search bar should be at top of page not hidden

Comments

• dstephens
    dstephens
    edited 09/03/24

I agree. The search bar is now hidden and it makes it very difficult to search

• B_Dunc
    B_Dunc ✭✭

I understand your frustration with the changes, but I'd like to offer a different perspective on the design choices. Reducing noise and simplifying the user interface are key benefits of placing commonly used features, like the search function, within a designated panel. The design becomes more cohesive and intuitive by incorporating the magnifying glass—universally recognized for search—into the same space as other directory options such as home, notifications, favorites, etc...

Anyone who works in PM knows that change can be challenging, especially when we’re accustomed to a particular workflow. However, this streamlined approach can save time in the long run by reducing distractions and making the interface easier to navigate. While it might feel inconvenient at first to spend a couple of seconds locating the icon, the ultimate goal is to create a more efficient and user-friendly experience. Often, simply paying attention can solve most initial issues.

Change often meets resistance, but it’s important to remember that thoughtful design improvements are made to enhance overall usability, benefiting everyone in the long term. Instead of focusing on the minority who prefer the old ways or expect something for free, the focus should be on the broader advantages these updates bring to all users.

Cheers ✌️

• Andrew A
    Andrew A ✭✭✭

No one who has to use a spreadsheet every day cares about aesthetics or what it looks like. Form should follow function not vice versa. Smartsheet creates productivity tools, not high fashion. While devs may want to congratulate themselves for freeing up blank empty space on a screen and creating more icons for the eye to scan and interpret all the while declaring it an upgrade, the millions of people on the clock are just trying to get their work done with least amount of hassle.

• B_Dunc
    B_Dunc ✭✭

Again, I understand the concerns about functionality taking priority over aesthetics, especially when using a tool like Smartsheet on a daily basis. However, form and function aren't mutually exclusive—more often than not, they work together to enhance productivity. By streamlining the interface and thoughtfully organizing features, we reduce clutter, making it easier to focus on the tasks at hand.

The goal of design changes like these isn’t just to create empty space or add more icons; it's about improving the overall user experience. When commonly used tools, like search functions, are intuitively placed, it leads to fewer distractions and a smoother workflow. While it might feel like an inconvenience at first, these updates aim to help users navigate more efficiently and complete their tasks with less hassle.

Change can be frustrating, especially when we're used to a particular setup, but these adjustments are intended to make the tool more effective in the long run. It’s about finding that balance between function and form, ensuring that the tools not only work well but also make your daily tasks easier to manage.

• Andrew A
    Andrew A ✭✭✭
    edited 09/11/24

Mine and everyone else's' workflow became worse with this change.

Mine and everyone else's overall experience has been degraded with this change.

• B_Dunc
    B_Dunc ✭✭
    edited 09/11/24

It’s easy to feel frustrated when something familiar changes, especially when it affects your daily routine. I get it. Change is challenging, but it often leads to better outcomes in the long run. While it feels like the devs are out to get you right now, their aim is still to create a cohesive workspace that works more effectively for as many people as possible.

✌️

• MPE_Dickson
    MPE_Dickson ✭✭
    edited 09/04/24

PLEASE MOVE THE SEARCH BAR BACK WHERE IT WAS, THIS IS MY 3rd POST BUT IT IT SO FRUSTRATING PLEASE MOVE IT BACK! I use this function all the time, it it costing me time.

• I agree this needs to be moved back immediately it is causing extra work for many people. Users, I noticed a "feedback" link is at the bottom of the new search area if you haven't noticed and used this to express your feedback on the new placement of the search bar.

• Agree - too small to find the magnifier, color is awful for anyone who has issues with color blindness. Please bring back the search bar on the top right of the sheets.

• Completely lost without Search Bar. I need to access dozens of smart sheet and cannot expect to know where they are or what they are named. I have yet figured out how to find it where ever it got buried. Please don't tell us you found a better way. Just put it back.

• I was very disappointed that users did not get a head's up on the change. I use Smartsheet the most out of my team and simple changes like this create a lot of extra work when I have everybody asking why. When I log into Smartsheet at the beginning of the day and try to use the "search" option on the left side of my screen most times than not it tells me that it can't find what I'm looking for. I have to click on one of my recent pages before it will search appropriately. Not helpful.

Also, while I'm here, I also find it very frustrating that when I search for a number (I deal with people and their phone numbers on the regular), it has to be searched exactly like it was entered instead of the search engine recognizing that 123-456-7890 is at least worth suggesting if I enter 1234567890. Please - search engines should be the easiest thing to use.

• Please bring back the old search bar, the new one is not good. I really dislike using it. The location is not obvious/intuitive and the content of your previous search stays in the bar and you have to delete it each time. The old search bar was automatically cleared and showed the history in a box below so you could easily return to a previous sheet. Yours used to be similar to every other search bar in every other program. You don't need to change a good thing for the sake of updating the look of the program.

• I just submitted feedback on this as well. I really dislike the new search bar. I truly didn't realize how important it was to me until they overcomplicated the simple process of searching.

Maybe we have to keep on this, more people could write their own "new idea"?

• A Shapiro
    A Shapiro ✭✭✭
    edited 09/11/24

Saying it is easier to find in a little pop-up doesn't change the fact that it is - in fact - not easier to find. As soon as you go off the main log-in page you lose your search bar. Smartsheet is a "right navigation" driven website. You scroll left to right. You scroll, on the right, top to bottom. To move my mouse across the screen, to click a (tiny icon) magnifying glass to open a very cumbersome search tool is never going to be something I view as "better." The recent changes are a nuisance. My contract is up November 2024 and if several ongoing issues are not fixed by then, we will be taking our enterprise account elsewhere.

• Hey all, based on recent comments in this thread, we want to remind all our members that here in Community, we welcome diverse views and opinions. We understand there are times when you won't agree with someone, however, please remember to be respectful and abide by our Community Guidelines.

In terms of how to identify members who work for Smartsheet, you can see who is an employee by checking out the Rank next to their member name (see mine as an example). 

We appreciate you as always, and look forward to your continued participation.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉

October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now