Create Formula in Sheet Summary field to pull only Month from another Sheet Summary Date Field

I have a date field for projected go live date for projects in my Sheet Summary.

I would like to add another field with a formula that will display only the Month Name in another field so that when I run the Sheet Summary report I can summarize projects going live by month.

I would appreciate any guidance!! Thank you!

Answers

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers

Hi @MariaG

This should do the trick

=IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 1, "Jan", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 2, "Feb", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 3, "Mar", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 4, "Apr", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 5, "May", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 6, "Jun", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 7, "Jul", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 8, "Aug", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 9, "Sep", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 10, "Oct", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 11, "Nov", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 12, "Dec", "Error"))))))))))))

You can extend the month names as required.

Hope that helps

Paul McGuinness
    Central Operations Manager at Care UK

If you found this comment useful, please let me know by clicking one of the buttons below: Awesome, Insightful, Upvote, or Accepted Answer. Your feedback will assist others looking for the same information and also help me out.

• MariaG
    MariaG ✭✭✭

This worked perfectly!!! Thank you so much @Paul McGuinness!!!!

Since you proved to be very good at this, may I ask one add on to that formula? If there is no date in the Projected Completion Date field, is there a way to have the Implementation Month field display "Undecided"?

Again, I really really appreciate your help on this!! (And so did my CEO!)

🙏

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers

Hi @MariaG

Thats fine, if we add another IF using ISBLANK at the front of the formula we can achieve that.

=IF(ISBLANK([Projected completion date]#), "Undecided", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 1, "Jan", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 2, "Feb", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 3, "Mar", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 4, "Apr", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 5, "May", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 6, "Jun", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 7, "Jul", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 8, "Aug", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 9, "Sep", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 10, "Oct", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 11, "Nov", IF(MONTH([Projected completion date]#) = 12, "Dec", "Error")))))))))))))

Hope that helps

Paul McGuinness
    Central Operations Manager at Care UK

If you found this comment useful, please let me know by clicking one of the buttons below: Awesome, Insightful, Upvote, or Accepted Answer. Your feedback will assist others looking for the same information and also help me out.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!