Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Fix misleading error when using API to get a sheet that is still in the process of creation

sgolux
sgolux ✭✭✭

Please reference support ticket/case 07281278 as well as community post at this URL:

My Suggestion:

It appears that when a sheet is copied (maybe when a new sheet is created in any way) via the API, there is some additional work that Smartsheet is doing on the back-end after the response to the create request is sent. It is possible that after the API consumer gets the response saying the new sheet is copied/created that a subsequent API call to GetSheet will yield a 404 Not Found error. This seems to be the wrong or at least misleading error. I think one of the following three solutions should be implemented:

1. Don't respond to the copy or creation request until the sheet is REALLY fully baked and will immediately be available to GetSheet. This would be my preferred and ideal solution.

2. Provide additional input request parameters to all the sheet creation APIs (create, copy, etc) that will request the synchronicity in #1 above.

3. Code flow in the servicing of the GetSheet request that would detect this kind of "present but not fully baked" sheet…. and respond with an error that suggest "Sheet Not Ready", ideally together with an estimate for how long to wait in milliseconds before it will be ready so that the GetSheet request can be re-initiated.

2 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated