How can I copy a row from sheet with cell links to antoher sheet? Reccuring workflow not working

Ishuvenkat
edited 10/02/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

I am trying to COPY rows automatically when a project owner name is changed from the original sheet to a destination sheet. The original sheet has cross links to another sheet and hence, I tried to use recurring workflows. Neverthless, not able to find the desitination sheet in the search box. I have tried to write the name of the sheet, copy link, pressed enter etc. but nothing seems to move the rows. Please help!

Best Answer

• Georgie
    Georgie Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ishuvenkat,

It sounds like you might be an Admin on the source sheet and the Owner of the destination sheet, and the Owner of the source sheet isn’t shared to the destination sheet. The Owner of the source sheet must have Admin permissions on the destination sheet. Check out Genevieve’s full explanation of this in this comment!

Hope that resolves it!

Georgie 

Answers

• kowal
    kowal Overachievers Alumni

Hello,

It happened to me before. If you cant find the destination sheet make sure it's saved.

Refresh this sheet few times and the destination sheet should appear after few seconds.

Let me know if it helps but for me it was always just a matter of time.

Tomasz Kowalski

The Smartsheet Lover

Is there anything else we can help you with?

MASA Consult - Your Aligned Smartsheet Partner

Find us on LinkedIn!

• Georgie
    Georgie Employee

Hi @Ishuvenkat,

To add to the above, it might be that the destination sheet was newly created in a different browser tab or window, and the browser tab/window on which you’re attempting to create the workflow hasn’t updated to “see” that sheet yet. If the destination sheet was recently created, try refreshing your browser tab/window and the destination sheet should then appear in the sheet selector when you type in the name. 

Another potential cause is if the relevant users don’t have the correct permissions on the source and destination sheet - both the sheet Owner and the workflow creator need to have Owner or Admin permissions on both the source and destination sheets to create an automated copy rows action. That is, if you, as the workflow creator, are an Admin on the source sheet, the Owner of that sheet will need to have Admin or Owner permissions on the destination sheet too. See this article for more information on copy rows workflows: Work with the copy rows action.

If you’ve confirmed you (and the sheet Owner if that’s not you) have the correct permissions on the source and destination sheets, 

Hope that helps!

Georgie

• Hi both,

I have saved the sheet, refreshed browser, opened the next day in a new browser, and I am an Owner / Admin for both sheets. I still do not see the destination and I am thinking it is because of cross links in the source sheet. The work around for this was use recurring workflows, but that also is not working.

• Georgie
    Georgie Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ishuvenkat,

It sounds like you might be an Admin on the source sheet and the Owner of the destination sheet, and the Owner of the source sheet isn’t shared to the destination sheet. The Owner of the source sheet must have Admin permissions on the destination sheet. Check out Genevieve’s full explanation of this in this comment!

Hope that resolves it!

Georgie 

• Oh wow, that worked. I made myself the owner on both. I did not know the owner needs to be an admin in the destination sheet. Thank you!