Do users have to login to receive notification emails as an automated workflow from a sheet?

mesh246
mesh246
edited 10/10/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have an author schedule for a weekly blog that I would like to use to send out an automated reminder email to the assigned author each week. They don't need to go into the sheet to update anything, it's just for me to track. We are in the process of creating SS accounts for each author but I want to make sure I'm giving them an accurate description of what they can expect.

1. When their account is created, will they receive any confirmation email?
  2. If they do receive some communication once thier account is created, do they have to take any steps to finalize it? (e.g. confirming their email, clicking a link to log in or set a password, etc.)
  3. The authors do not use SS for anything else, so I'm hoping that they will just start receiving reminder emails without having to do any setup on their end. Will they need to log in to receive these reminder emails?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Answers

• You do not need to sign up all the authors onto Smartsheet if they aren't going to be using it.

You can send an email notification with a message of your choice to any valid email.

1. Create a new column with the "Contact List" type.
    2. Create a new automation with the action "Alert Someone"
    3. Make the recipients the contacts in the column.

That way you don't have to manage a bunch of accounts that no one uses.