Using checkbox to add value in another cell.

Options
Al ISS
Al ISS ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I am not an expert on excel but I am trying to add value (more specific: adding date/time or just time automatically) to another cell just checking a check box cell.

Is this possible on smartsheet? 

Thanks. Al

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, it is possible with a formula. I think some more detail would be necessary to fully answer your question. You can use an IF statement to add values... but if you want to add to a value that is already on the sheet you will want a new category to do it... 

Say you have a value column called Value, a checkbox value called Checkbox and a sum column. 

In the sum column (row 24) you could add this formula. 

=IF(checkbox24 = 1, sum24 + 50, sum24)

If you put the above formula into the sum column, this would add 50 to the value of sum24 in your sum column when the check box is checked, or it would just place the value of sum24 if it wasn't. 

Hope that helps. 

• Robert S.
    Robert S. Employee
    Options

Hello Mike,

This is a great way to do this, however I think there was a bit of a typo. Seems like where you have sum24 should actually be value24. Since this formula is going into the Sum column, this would theoretically be referencing itself and would return a #CIRCULAR REFERENCE error. 

=IF(checkbox24 = 1, value24 + 50, value24)

If you put the above formula into the sum column, this would add 50 to the value of value24 in your sum column when the check box is checked, or it would just place the value of value24 if it wasn't. 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good catch Robert. That's why they pay you to support the community. laugh

• Al ISS
    Al ISS ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Mike for your email. I've got the email from Robert and it worked perfectly. Al

• Al ISS
    Al ISS ✭✭
    edited 01/22/18
    Options

I need help to add time or date/time when I check the checkbox. After this date/time is added to a cell it cannot be changed if I press the save button in the document. When I use command TODAY in my formula it works fine. Make sense?

That's the formula I am using it in the cell I chose. =IF(CHECKBOX2 = 1, TODAY(), " ")

Thanks again. Al

• Al ISS
    Al ISS ✭✭
    Options

I need help to add time or date/time when I check the checkbox. After this date/time is added to a cell it cannot be changed if I press the save button in the document. When I use command TODAY in my formula it works fine. Make sense?

That's the formula I am using it in the cell I chose. =IF(CHECKBOX2 = 1, TODAY(), " ")

Al

• Al ISS
    Al ISS ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much Robert. You formula worked perfectly. Al

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is not currently possible with a function. Today() works great for today, but once today becomes tomorrow then the date/time would update to tomorrow. I've seen this done using a third-party tool called Zapier. Which can insert a date into the cell when a checkbox is checked. However, you have to pay for Zapier's multi-level service and it can get costly. J. Craig Williams can point you to some helps for integrating Zapier with Smartsheet. 

• Al ISS
    Al ISS ✭✭
    Options

Is it possible to have the formula of Create (Date) that we find on the System Column? Maybe when the checkbox is checked it will create a new create date. 

Thanks. Al

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can use a "modified" system column but it the modified date column will change if ANYTHING on the row is modified. It will work if the only thing changing is a checkbox. But note that if you update any text in a row or change a date, the modified date will change as well. 

• KWilliford
    KWilliford ✭✭✭
    Options

Robert S. and others - how can I do this with multiple checkboxes?

=IF(checkbox24 = 1, value24 + 50, value24)

I want each box that is checked to add the cost of that item to my total.

Right now I am using the below so if no box is checked it defaults to the $25k number.

=IF([Carpet Removal]@row = 1, 25000 + 20000, 25000)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!