Linked Cells Not Updating

John Sephora
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am trying to figure out why my linked cells are not updating.

When I double click on the current value ("TBD" in this case) it opens the source sheet and shows the updated value ("Bridgeport Village" in this case). Right clicking the current value and selecting "View Cell History" shows no change as well. Any idea why these linked cells would not be updating? This concerns me as we use a lot of inbound linking and they need to automatically update (otherwise what is the point of using SmartSheet?).

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Tags:

Answers

• Here is the cell history from the source sheet as well.

Capture3.PNG

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had a lot of problems with links no longer updating a couple of weeks ago after a Smartsheet update. Smartsheet was able to find the bug, correct it and restore all my links. I haven't had any link problems since then as far as I know. I have some extensive error checking in place or I might not have known about most of the broken links until I spotted it visually in the data. During the problem time I could doubleclick on a linked-in cell and when it brought up the source cell it would have a different value in it than I was seeing in the destination cell.

By the way, I don't think cell history will show new data until the sheet is saved.

• John, I'd encourage you to contact our technical support team here, and they can help to diagnose what you are seeing.

• Having Support refresh the links seems to have corrected the issue.

• cron.d
    cron.d
    edited 02/21/19

Cell linking still fails to update destination cells for me as well.

(even on the most basic test: linking two text fields across two new sheets)

Edit: [Solved] Apparently it just takes ~30 minutes for changes to propagate to their destination cells. This is still almost unusably slow, but the functionality is at least there.

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still have an occasional problem with links taking a long time to update but they eventually do. Sometimes one simple change can ripple through many sheets and I guess some link update gets missed. They must have some process in place that eventually catches it because normally all my links get updated in just a few seconds.

I also do have one link on one sheet that Smartsheet thinks is a circular reference, and I'm very sure it is not. I probably have a hundred thousand links in my application and it is the only problem one. It's not a critical one so I just live with it.

• Avinash Chandra
    Avinash Chandra ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

is there an issue in smartsheet that inbound links are not updating?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Avinash Chandra

I hope you're well and safe!

I noticed some users having issues a couple of days ago, but it seems to be resolved now.

If you're still having issues and haven't already, I recommend reaching out to the Smartsheet Support Team.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I'm having the same issue. A simple value in a single cell in one sheet is linked to another sheet. The other sheet does not update. I mean, if it takes longer than, say 30 seconds to update, the sheet is unusable imho. Someone suggested that it takes 30 mins? What am I missing?

• Avinash Chandra
    Avinash Chandra ✭✭✭✭✭

I have recently seen that inbound links from one to another SS, data does not update automatically. Is there a problem?