Copy and Paste from Excel into Smartsheet Project

13»

Comments

• I'm having the same issue as Alex. One day the copy/paste worked, another it didn't. I tried importing the Excel file into SmartSheets and copy/pasting that way, but still with the greyed out paste function. My only solution has been to import and move the lines over. This unfortunately makes it so other less adept users have to submit their bulk uploads to me instead of being able to enter the data themselves.

It seems like there is a definite difference in applications between users (some users can still copy/paste while others cannot), and that that might be causing the issues. If someone know's the trigger for the application to stop accepting pasted values (like the versions browser that are unsupported), it would be nice to have it posted here. That would at least let everyone know why it was happening to them.

Chrome version: Version 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Excel version: Microsoft Excel for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11929.20760) 64-bit

• Thank you Andree this worked for me. Seeing how it's 2021 and this is still a problem (when I copy/paste from Excel, there are all kinds of errors from adding more rows which I still can't figure out why there are more rows that INCLUDE data, to losing formatting and copy omissions, etc), I believe this is actually the best practice solution and not a workaround! :) Import worked not only to copy the Excel information, but it brought in the cell coloring as well so it appears to be a complete import. My doc only includes text and not formulas btw.

• I had the same issue while using SS via Chrome. All copied cells go to a single column. But it's fine with MS Edge browser. We can copy & paste multiple cells to SS as we want easily.

• I think I found a way to resolve the issue recently. There's something with caching or the clipboard. Once I closed and reopened both excel and the browser (I may have just cycled the browser), I could paste normally again. Seems like something gets corrupted and you just have to 'reset' it.

It was a while ago that I've seen and cleared the issue in real-time, so my memory of the resolution may be fuzzy.

• I have also experienced this same problem, strangely I found that if I use the Ctl V function on my keyboard it is successful in pasting multiple rows from Excel into smartsheets. I don't know why the native paste doesn't work but I hope this also works for you. If I did not find this result the tool would be unusable for me.

• It is very difficult to copy and paste data from Excel to Smartsheet.

• Ctrl C then Ctrl V works perfectly for me. I can copy and paste multiple rows and columns at the same time.