Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Editing a template

Options

Comments

• Jenisa
    Options

Please add my vote for making templates editable, sure would make things easier

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Jenisa,

I've got your vote down; thanks for your input!

• This is rediculous.  You can't edit a template?  Again, this makes this function worthless as most functions are in Smart Sheet.   In fact, it is much worse than worthless, as we assumed that a template could be edited like any other modern digital document on the planet.  I know this is a tough challenge for you.  Your directions on how to workaround are time consuming and wasteful, and puts the onus on your clients to work around your shoddy short sited programming.   Do not bother adding this to your Pixie Dust wish list which never comes to life.  We are beginning to wind down our usage of this software, and will moonlight by end of year.  For reasons like these, the software is virtually worthless (and we paid $5,000 for our team this year), and get zero technical support.   If I do not here back from Smart Sheet after this post, I will begin having some fun on Yelp and other Social Media outlets, getting out the word about how worthless this tool really is, and how little the organization cares about its clients.

• Stephen Branstetter
    Options

Michael,

I'm sorry you feel that way about the Product and our Support. I run our Support, Customer Success, and Professional Services teams and wanted to personally follow-up. I'd be very interested in talking with you to better understand how our Support has not met your expectaions. I'll follow-up with you outside of the Community to connect. 

Regarding this feature request, I absolutely understand the functionality being requested and have myself experienced creating sheets using a Template and then wanting to update both the Template and all of the sheets that have been created with it. Despite that I have felt the need for this specific functionality, it hasn't historically been a significant request from the broader customer base. It's helpful to have forums like this to see exactly this type of passion around requested functionality. As with any company, we have to make decisions about priorities and customer impact. In recent history customers have had more energy around features like Dashboard type functionality (lead to Sights release), the request for Kanban friendly functionality (lead to Card view), the creation of the concept of Saved filters, increased automation, Reporting enhancements, user management improvements, Skype integration, and many more capabilities that we have delivered and/or have in the near term pipeline. 

While I don't manage the Dev team I can tell you that we're hiring great folks in Development, UI/UX, and Product Management as fast as we can so that we can continue to accelerate the pace at which we are providing thoughtful functionality that helps our customers track, report, automate, and scale.

As mentioned at the top, I'll reach out to you via email to get a better understanding of your specific support experiences. I look forward to learning more and making sure we use it as an opportunity to improve.

Stephen

• Leah Martin A8
    Options

Please add my vote for making templates editable.

• Robert Casper
    Options

Steve, the Template feature unfortunately is so limited that it would be better if you just got rid of it.  For a template to be a template it at least needs to be editable.  Other enhancements would be helpful, but that is pretty basic.  I am meeting with a client this week to advise them to basically stop using templates because they are confusing their efforts.  There is no value to Templates whatsoever. 

Part of the frustration I'm reading from Michael is the shared frustration of not knowing what is potentially in the feature pipeline.  Smartsheet needs to bring that back.  Competition is fierce.

• Stephen Branstetter
    edited 03/28/17
    Options

Robert,

Thanks for providing these additional thoughts. I definitely hear you about the ability to edit templates in an easier fashion than what was laid out earlier in this thread. Regarding getting rid of them, they are a feature that is used by thousands of customers so, though we have some very legitimate desired enhancements, I would not want to remove the current functionality as it is providing value to a number of our customers.

This thread has definitely been helpful in discussing prioritization of this functionality. While this feature was on the radar it wasn't something that we were hearing requests for very often. I don't have an update yet as to whether and when this will be on the roadmap but I can tell you it is in the conversation.

Stephen 

• Kasjek
    Options

+1 for editable templates

Is this feature planned for some 2017 release?

• Leanne
    Options

Please add another vote for editable templates, I am new to Smartsheet and was very surprised to find that you cannot do this.

The option to make batch changes to sheets created from templates would also be beneficial, please add a vote to this too.

• CRB
    Options

New customer.

Landed here as a result of searching for "how to edit smartsheet template" after not being able to figure it out on my own. I too am very surprised this isn't even possible.

Add my vote.

In the meantime I'll just name a sheet template and add text to the sheet explaining how to use it.

Hope the development team picks this one up soon.

We have someone from Smartsheets coming to visit next week. Will make sure the 10+ other people in the room add their votes too (i.e. I'm likely just one of the first in our group to discover that this isn't possible)

• angeles.ed
    edited 09/25/17
    Options

This post is too old surprise It hasn't been solved yet, has it? Please add my vote for editable templates and also for a way to make batch changes to sheets created from the templates.

Thank you!!

• Soren
    Options

Hello,

I'd like to add a vote to this thread: both for templates to be editable and to actually serve as "templates" by allowing changes to cascade to sheets that use that template

• Please add my vote to this as well

• stormbirdd
    Options

I read the entire thread including the angry bit from Mr. Stadulus (which I imagine he regrets posting: I, too have posted in the heat of irritation but always regret it). His annoyance and others' surprise mirrors my own: a template that cannot be edited seems like a throwback almost to DOS days.

+1 to edit template from all our company's Smartsheet users here in Seattle! And thank you for continuing to respond to us and tally our votes.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Stormbirdd,

We have a new system for taking votes, one that more directly connects people with our Product team that designs these features.

Sorry to make you have to repeat yourself—but when you have the time, please use the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site and submit a request for the ability to edit templates.

In the form, it's best to describe how you'd expect the template editing functionality to work, the behavior you'd expect when you make a change to the template, etc. This helps our Product team design the feature effectively.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.