Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Editing a template

Options
13»

Comments

• HeatherDBS
    Options

Hi Shaine, Is there a way to see what other product enhancement requests have already been submitted so we can just +1 it rather than typing out a full request which has probably been submitted by hundreds of other people as well?

Thank you.

• emmacomeau
    Options

This seems like a super easy thing to fix. Templates should be editable!

• DonmanW
    Options

I just went through all my templates and edited the working days (with this year's holidays via Project settings) and saved them all to find that the holidays didn't "save" in the template... which lead me to this thread about editing templates.

If you are opening a template and changing it (and not hitting "use template" what else would you be doing to a template besides editing it?  ugh. I supposed a message that says templates are not editable would draw more fire.  Why do templates show twice in my list? one has the "use template" button and the other (I assumed was for editing the template and saving it when done).

• SpecialK
    Options

Has this been fixed yet? Also why is there a suggestion to submit a product enhancement request from scratch when it already has several expressions of interest?

I need to post a checklist for employee onboarding tasks. If I make updates to the original, I need these to cascade down to all other checklists.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

It's because of how Smartsheet collects/evaluate requests.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

A New Way to Submit Your Feature Requests

To make your Enhancement / Feature Request count, send in the form above because there isn’t a guarantee, it will be registered otherwise.

Original Post: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Please add my vote for making templates editable.

• M@
    M@
    Options

This solution doesn't really work for some cases. For example, I am using the Smartsheet API to automatically create new sheets on demand from a template. When I had to make a change to the template (i.e. re-create it and replace the old one), the Template Id changed. This caused a couple of issues:

• I had to update the calling application's configuration to match the new Id
    • More critically - The process in the calling application checks to see if a sheet already exists for the template (based on the template Id), so when the template Id changed, this check reports that the sheets don't already exist because it uses the template Id and document name to check for existing sheets. To fix this, I am going to have to somehow preserve the old template Id on the application side and check for sheets created from either one. This problem will grow worse if I have to make any more modifications to the template, forcing me to check a whole series of Template Ids to determine if a child sheet exists for any of them. 

The ability to edit existing templates would avoid this potentially major issue by preserving the original Template Id. 

• ckelsoe
    ckelsoe ✭✭
    Options

Hard to believe that after years of this request we still cannot edit templates. 

This discussion has been closed.