Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Formatting Notifications to be Readable

Nosbo
Nosbo
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Is it possible to format my notification email that tells me a new row has been added to our sheet so that it looks more like the web form we use to submit our new requests?  Right now the notification email just shows a condensed version of the new row, in a row format, which isn't very readable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Nosbo, this isnt possible yet but we are tracking feedback for this request and I will add your vote for it! 

• Please add my vote for this also.  My company would benefit from this enhancement as well. Thanks!

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Kelly - I added your vote as well!

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I'm on the right discussion for what I want, but I think it's close.

I have a master sheet with lots of rows and columns.  Once a day the subscribed users get an update of the changes on the sheet.  What they get is a MASSIVE sheet full of extraneous stuff.  I have 50% of my sheet hidden for usabilities sake, but 100% of the sheet is shown in the notification and highlighted.  All of the hidden tracking formulas and counting cells will update of course, but I don't want the user to have a comprehensive view of the whole sheet when they don't see it while interacting with the sheet.

This seems to work ok on the "Send Row" feature, as only the non-hidden rows are visible in the list.

Cheers

• Joshua
    Joshua
    edited 07/13/16

Please add my vote for this feature, also. I made the same request not too long ago, but it sounds like Smartsheet still isn't implementing the ability to reformat the way notifications are received.

I'm not a programmer, but the request seemed simple enough: we just want a way to select a Vertical layout instead of a Horizontal layout, and the exact option we're asking for is already available in the "Send Row" function.

Thank you.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello SS team,

Where are we with improving the notifications formatting?

The #1, most frequent, and most vocal complaint I get from my teams is regarding the format of these notifications.  They look awful on a mobile phone, show hidden data, and seperate the useful information into three less useful piles: row changes, attachment changes, and comment changes.  

If you have a sheet that 30 people are using, and you get a daily notification of those sheet changes, then what you have each morning is one super long email where you have to scroll up/down/up/down/up/down (ad nauseum) because you want to know about ALL the changes that happened to a row in one place.  It does you no good to separate the cell changes from the coments and attachments - that's just silly.  SS is about bringing information together, not splitting it up.

Block all the information about one row together, then move to the next row.

Thanks for supporting us SS.  You are slower than my patience, but you do a good job.

• Please add my vote to improve this.  I have a form with a lot of columns and the notification is not readable on a mobile phone.  Can you just add an option for the data to populate vertical instead of horizontal.  At least they can scroll and see all the data.  Scrolling left/right is not normal behavior with mobile

• Please add my vote - We need to be able to make the notifictaion ledgeable or be able to send notifcations from a summary like report that is linked to the sheet. 

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/19/17

Vertical vs Horizontal is not going to solve this for everyone.  In fact, it would make our notifications even longer than before.  My 'main sheet' is already 35columns wide.  If we made it vertical it would mean that readers would wear out their thumb trying to scroll to the bottom of the email for the content.

• Please add my vote to this as well! Having vertical notifications similar to the format when "sending" a row would be amazing. It is much easier to read and allows people receiving these notifications to read it more like a traditional email.

Cheers,

• Can I add a vote to be able to customize which cells are shown in the email notification. We have over 100 columns in our sheets so the email notifications are impossible to read. You can only get any use of the notification by entering something into the email subject or body copy. I'd like to be able to have the notification only show the row that was changed and the primary cell of that row.

• Hi Nick,

We've got a new way of submitting feedback to our Product team. Check out the announcement for more information on this: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shaine,

Given the number of feature request posts that have been pasted with this "New way to submit feature requests" line, should I take it to mean that I must now go through all of my feature requests and submit them via this form again???

Some of my requests are a year old, and it would be cumbersome to go through the forum and try to find all of them.

• Brad—The Community team has definitely logged votes in past instances but we're no longer going to log future votes for a feature made only in the community.

I realize that you may have to speak your piece more than once if you want to share your ideas with the community, but this new process is the best way for our Product team to understand why you want a feature (what you'll use it for) and to have a means to contact you if they need to follow up with more questions.

• Please add my vote for this and also can be customised the subject or content with data in the field.

This discussion has been closed.