Automated backups of sheets using tool

Push Energy
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

So I'm using the Smartsheet backup tool on a linux server, it's very simply and looks great, you modify the properties file, run the jar and there's your backup. I'm trying to automate this backup using Crontab but it seems like the backup tool looks for the properties file from your current directory, obviously in crontab, this runs as Root in a base directory therefore it cannot find the properties file and will not run.

How can I specify the location of the server properties file or do I have to create a script that runs the backup from within the directory? This seems like such a basic feature but is missing, can anybody help?

putty_2018-04-12_16-12-04.png

Comments

• Taylor F
    Taylor F Employee

Hello, 

The properties file and the Backup Tool jar file need to be in the same directory.

My suggestion would be to place them in your root directory but set the outputDir in the properties file to be the user location where you would like for the backups to be placed. 

Taylor

• eoguten
    eoguten ✭✭

I have been using smartsheet for a while and needed an automated backup tool so i developed one. it is periodically getting all my smartsheet files and dropping into a specified folder in my dropbox. All files and attachments are well organized. It has been super efficient so far.