Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Update request format - change to table view?

Lynnette Batt
Lynnette Batt ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

My team is new to Smartsheet. It would be great if I could send update requests that show up as a table view, rather than form view, so that the view is consistent for these new users. Is this possible? If not, can this function be added?

Right now I'm using the workaround of publishing the sheet, selecting the rows to be updated, sending these rows to the person that needs to update them along with the published link, in order to keep the view the same. Eventually they may get accustomed to a "form" view for updating, but right now it's not intuitive compared to sticking with the sheet view.

Thanks!

Comments

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee

Hello Lynnette, 

Currently there isn't a way to revert back to a table view in an update request, but I'll add your vote for this capability to our enhancement request list. 

The workaround you mentioned of publishing the sheet would be the best workaround at this time. 

We appreciate your input! 

-Zack

• We are looking at options to show the table view while making sure it works for users who open the update request on a mobile device and want to fill it out there.

Thank you for the feedback!

• I'm finding the "form" update view cumbersome. Often times I want to request that users update documentation in the form of attachments to a row but it doesn't seem that this can be easily done from the form email that they receive. When we will be able to get back to regular sheet update requests as it used to be? This has been a huge step backwards for SS.

At the least, I'd like to know how to remove the "Open Update Form" button from the emails they receive and have them just click the very very very tiny link at the bottom of the email that says "Go to the sheet".

Most users simply want to click a link to open the sheet and update the row, discussions, attachments. Is there an easy way to do this and avoid the confusing update form?

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 07/28/16

Hi Dennis-- To confirm, if you send an Update Request and include the Attachments column in the request, users can scroll down to the bottom of the Update Request to attach files to be submitted with their updates.

Though our Product team is still taking feedback on this, we don't not have plans at this point to reinstitute full-sheet update requests. 

We don't currently offer any way to modify the default email sent with an Update Request with the exception of changing the subject line or message body. I brought this up to our Product team and they suggested including the Secure Sheet Link (found in the Sharing tab) in the "Message" area of an Update Request. This will allow users to click the link and open the entire sheet, if preferred, when making updates. Note that they would need Editor permissions on the sheet to make changes directly to the sheet, however keep in mind that this would basically be the same sheet level permission they had when full-sheet Update Requests were available.

This discussion has been closed.