Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

isFormula function.

James Sutton
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I would like a way to determine if a cell contains a literal value or a formula calculated value.

For example:  On a project sheet we have multiple date fields for different actions to complete on the same item.  By default we use formulas to generate estimates for all the date columns.  Some users may enter an actual date to override the calculated delivery date.  We would like to be able to apply conditional formatting so that it would be visually clear which dates are calculated as opposed to overridden, something like IsFormula([Date1]20) would be perfect.

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi James, there isn’t a function that will identify if a cell contains a formula but you could turn on highlight changes which would apply formatting to any cell that was edited within a given timeframe. You could turn this on then check the date column for cells that have been modified. You can then view the history of these cells including what changes were made, who made them, and when by right clicking on the cell and selecting View History. 

• Roland Horwood
    Roland Horwood ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

isformula would be a great addition. I have several sheets and workflows that have calculated dates in cells that are then overwritten manually when "real" dates are available. The ability to conditionally format these to highlight when dates have been entered would be very useful to users.

Regards - Roland

• I second the request for detecting a formula in such a way that we can detect if it has been overwritten.   My particular example is such that I use "=SUM(CHILDREN())" to total our project schedules and since SmartSheet does not have a way to total the complete hierarchy of parent/children I need a visual way to know if one of the "=SUM(CHILDREN())" has been over written.

This discussion has been closed.