Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Date formatting

Options

Comments

• Stefan 7k
    Options

I explicitly second this post!!!

At least it would help to make the ISO standard available to be set in your country settings.

Projektmanagement Professional in Frankfurt am Main, Germany

• ncocilova39816
    Options

Any update on this date formatting request(customizing)?  I deal with multiple countries and it is confusing at times.  

• ManInBlack
    Options

I need to be able to display the date by only the month.

i.e. 3/16/18 - March

5/24/18 - May

8/05/18 - August

In Excel it is custom date format -  mmmm

How do I achieve that in Smartsheets?

• Stefan 7k
    Options

Hi,

this can be done using the vlookup function and an additional sheet with 2 columns. 

In the additional sheet, column one is the month number (1 to 12), column 2 shows the string you want for the month. 

In the sheet where you need the string, you add a hidden column with the month function and use the vlookup function with this number to search in the additional sheet. 

Projektmanagement Professional in Frankfurt am Main, Germany

• MarvWall
    Options

WE at Tarrant County College would also appreciate being able to display the data in a "May 16, 2018" or "16 May 2018" format

• kroonr
    Options

I can't believe this simple and important requirement is not available after 2 years of the first post... 

• Roger Koon
    Roger Koon ✭✭✭
    Options

Another vote for custom date formatting and my concurrence with you on the idea of focusing on utility as a priority over interface. A crudely functioning feature is oftentimes better than no feature at all.

• erak47
    Options

My team is VERY international and we desperately need a standard we can all understand and sort easily.  For us, we're most interested in 10-JUL-2018 format, with month being a three digit letter style to absolutely eliminate any possibility of confusion between month and day.  

PLEASE get this implemented as it's currently confusing my team to no end and making smartsheet less usable than our alternative, g-sheets.

• mteran
    Options

Hiya, I also vote for custom date formats, hopefully they can be implemented soon. I'm interested in having eg "Mon DD/MM"

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would also need date formatting, agree with all the suggestions so far. Need to be able to display day and flexible formats. It appears from this thread that this has been requested for more than three years. What is the likely timing of having this implemented any time soon?

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• jcaton
    jcaton
    edited 10/23/18
    Options

Formatting needs to be alterable at sheet level to take into account global date entry standards. While US standard is MMDDYY, EU standard is DDMMYY. For global projects having a single standard for all sheets is unacceptable and confusing for team members and stakeholders.

• timspadoni
    Options

I see that this request is over three years old and it looks like at lot of users would like it included in the product. 

Any updates?

Any ETA?

Thanks,

Tim

• hgreyling
    hgreyling ✭✭
    edited 12/04/18
    Options

I am a newcomer and have been impressed with the simplicity of the tool.  At the point of buying licenses, but this post is seriously concerning.  After three years a simple request to have date formats available not being adhered to.  I should probably seriously consider my decision for buying licenses.

Is there a date when this is available, or will this request just be ignored for the next 3 years? 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Depending on your use case and needs there is a way to convert and show the date in another way in another cell.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mahesh M
    Options

I would also need the Date as dd-mmm-yyyy format.

and also need a date function to calculate the experience in years, Months and days format.

Please do 

This discussion has been closed.