How to have users only able to see and edit rows assigned to them?

Options
LK
LK
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi

We have a number of sheets spread over different workspaces. We only want the users to be able to see and edit tasks allocated to them. We do not want them to be able to see information on sheets that is allocated to others.

Initially I thought that I could set up a sheet(s) and allocate rows to a specific user. I was then going to run a report across all workspaces filtering the allocated to column by ‘current user’. I was going to restrict access to the sheet, and only give the users shared access to the report. I have since realized that if someone does not have access to the source sheet, the information will not display on the report. Is that correct?

My work around (I am hoping) is to share the relevant workspaces / sheets and use filters to change what the users can see on a specific sheet.

My question is – can I apply a filter to a sheet template so that it is always saved when we create a new sheet? Ideally when the user logs in and views a sheet the “current user” filter is already applied.

If there is a better way of allowing a users to only see and edit information relevant to them on sheets / reports please let me know.

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is a way to apply a filter to the default view of sheets. But it doesn't restrict them from changing the view to show other views or turn the filter off altogether. 

When creating your current user filter you will need to check the box to share the filtler. After its created, save your sheet. Then, click on Share, and under collaborators choose Default View and then you can click "Filter" and set it to your new current user filter. See screenshot for more information.

2018-06-08_08-34-04.gif

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello LK,

Yeah, it's really easy to share things in Smartsheet - but not very easy to stop sharing.

So, as you guessed, Reporting is the best way to handle this with the current system behavior.  You must give the user access to the underlying sheet, yes, but what can work well is to put the Report into the Workspace that the user is using most frequently - and then tuck the actual sheet away into a very obfuscated sub-sub-sub-folder somewhere, which makes them less likely to even look for it.

HTH,

Brad

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wow, Brad. Very very Sneaky. When you do this you will also need to remove the Sheet column from the report! 

• Junio`
    Options

Hey, I tried this and after I share the other assignees can still see each other. Any idea on what I might be doing wrong?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/10/19
    Options

Hi Junio,

Filters make it easier to show the information how you want, but all the information is still viewable.

I've answered in another post that I would recommend different sheets and a report to collect everything.

https://community.smartsheet.com/comment/137641#comment-137641

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds like they are still accessing the main sheet and not their report. 

• hhamlyn
    hhamlyn ✭✭
    Options

PLEASE ADD THIS FUNCTION. So important and seems easy to configure.