Cross-sheet reference limit clarifications

Dan Seidler
Dan Seidler ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

We have a couple cross-sheet reference questions:

1. Where can we see how close we are to the 25,000 cross-sheet reference and 5,000 cell-link limits?  Also, is there a go-to link to these references?
  2. Clarification please:  We have one Master Sheet and 3 other sheets that refer (pulls data from) the Master. Does the cross-sheet references limit of 25,000 cells refer to the number of times our supporting sheets refer back to (pulls data from) the Master?  Or is it the other way around (i.e. the # of times the supporting sheets are referred to by the Master)?
  3. What about the above scenario (#2), as it relates to “A total of 100 distinct cross-sheet references can be created on a sheet.”

Thanks,

Dan

Tags:

Comments

• Hi Dan,

I'll answer your questions in the order that they were delivered:

1. The exact number of references and cell links being used currently isn't automatically displayed somewhere; however, you will receive a message when trying to link or reference cells over this limit.
    2. The 25,000 reference limitation is per sheet, meaning a single sheet can reference up to 25,000 cells from any combination of other sheets.
    3. You can create up to 100 cross-sheet references per sheet (references in the curly brackets) that can, combined, reference up to 25,000 cells. Meaning you can create up to 100 uniquely named references that reference 250 cells apiece—per sheet.
  • Hi Shaine,

I appreciate the clarifications.

Thanks,

Dan