Hidden Fields in Card View

Options
Allison_S
Allison_S ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to HIDE fields in the card view, just like you can hide columns in a grid view? I have fields hidden in my grid, but when I go into a card view and click into the card ALL the fields are visible. I have set the 9 visible fields when you are looking at the card, but when I click into the card to make edits all fields are visible again. Any ideas or advice? 

Answers

• Mick Jordan
    Options

I don't believe there is a feature to hide them once you have clicked into the card.  

Sorry

Mick

• Daniel DeCost
    Options

I too am in a similar situation. I have a series of fields in my SmartSheet that do things like trigger conditional formatting, or indicate data input by a form. In card view this all shows up even though I hide it in Grid view. What's worse is even if I lock the columns they still can be edited in card view. 

• Ross Novotny
    Ross Novotny ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This would be extremely helpful. I know this thread is a few years old, but I don't believe there is a solution to this. When creating complex sheets, you really need to be able to hide certain fields within card view.

• Eric Eskam
    Options

We could also really use this.

One possible way to handle this - let you link the card to a form in a sheet? Then we could customize the look of the card as we saw fit.

• sas-ss
    sas-ss ✭✭✭
    edited 03/22/21
    Options

+100

In my most-used template I have 14 hidden columns that are all used for various formula and formatting purposes. It's a huge issue to have them all show in the cards' edit fields.

I've submitted the idea of customizing cards + providing the option to 'display hidden columns in card view' as a product enhancement; please do the same if you'd like this functionality!

(That wording seemed less convoluted than "Hide hidden columns in card view", although this seems more accurate given the current state of all fields always visible.)

• CycleBagEd
    Options

I also want this

• DaveM
    Options

I also need this. Is there an official location to request features? I am surprised this isn't already built into Smartsheet. Card view is one of their selling points, but the inability to hide fields in card view is a serious flaw in my opinion.

• Mary Corvalan
    Options

I'm having the same issue. It is very confusing for team members to see these columns that contain formulas in the card view. It would be great if we could hide columns in the card view.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Eric Eskam, @sas-ss, @CycleBagEd, @DaveM and @Mary Corvalan.

I hope you're well and safe!

Great idea! That would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• LydiaBR
    LydiaBR ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't believe that enhancement requests ever get actioned. I thought I had found a solution to the complex and convoluted sheet issues I've been experiencing for the past 12 months by using reports. But my team use Card view to enter data, and you can't even have the report fields at the top of the card. This is impossible and I think it's time for me to stop using Smartsheets. I have been an advocate for 2 years, despite constant functionality issues.

• quan
    quan ✭✭
    Options

I was able to hide fields in card view using the "cog" icon on the top right (below the "share" button).

When you click on the cog, you can change the card view settings and choose the fields that are visible and not visible.

• Deric
    Deric ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@quan

You had me excited for a second!

I think the issue is that when you open the card in edit mode. It is often desirable to limit the amount of information that can be seen - it may already be an option with Dynamic View, but I don't have access to that add on.

With that being said, there are some work arounds to achieve the same thing.

@LydiaBR

Did you figure out how to make this work?

• clairehunter
    Options

@LydiaBR

I know this is so so late, but I was wondering if you inevitably switched to another platform or found a way to make it work? I am running into the same issue.