Dates start flashing after updating another task's predecessors

JennyN
JennyN
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a project plan that I am now updating to establish dependencies. Everything was going fine until I updated one task's predecessors and a completely separate row's dates (and associated span in the gantt chart) started flashing. I'm guessing that there is some circular logic or something that might be causing this because if I enter a different row as the predecessor, it stops flashing. But I can't figure out where the problem is. There is no error message or other indicators. Anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Comments

• I am sure the issue had something to do with a circular dependency, but I could not find it. I deleted all the predecessors in that section of my plan and then recreated them one by one in a different order and this time it didn't happen.

• The exact same thing is happening to me. I can't figure out why. There's no circular dependancy that I can see! 

• Did anyone get an answer on this issue?

• Would really like to hear from SmartSheet support on this one, this blinking is driving me nuts...

• akruzel71421
    edited 12/06/18

Running into this issue myself and it's definitely frustrating.  I don't see any circular dependencies and it's frustrating that Smartsheet can detect something is wrong by blinking but doesn't given ANY guidance on where the error may be. 

I did realize i had two sheets open. When i closed one out, it appeared to fix itself.

• Tony Barthelemy
    Tony Barthelemy ✭✭✭✭

I am having the same issue and it would be helpful for Smartsheet to automate why it is blinking.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kam,

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team. Smartsheet Support Team

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi,

Sorry if already solved this issue, since long time has been passed from original post.

Today I met the same situation in my smartsheet schedule.

I confirmed that no circular event dependency, no defined start/finish dates, and saved schedule, but not solved.

After I logged out once and re-login, blinking was stopped.

So I think something wrong was cached in the browser, and caused such like issue.

If you meet the same situation, it might be worth trying to logout and login again. Hope it helps.

• I had the flashing dates but when I saved the sheet the flashing stopped.

• Marking
    Marking ✭✭

We are getting this issue now, too, with the same symptoms as described at the top of this thread. I would note that this issue was first reported in July 2018. Saving and logging out do not address this. Thanks.

• So the July 2018 issue is still an issue in February of 2022, and still no response in the thread from Smartsheets to help users identify and resolve the issue or even explain the root cause...

Would appreciate, like those before me, a considered response.

Thanks

• POSSIBLE SOLUTION. Ya'll let me know if this works for you too.

I figured something out in MY sheet that seems to make sense and be repeatable, so perhaps this will help others.

When you create dependencies by adding Predecessors, and somewhere far down in your actual predecessor rows you didn't put ANY Start Date or End Date for one or more of those dependencies, the higher level (left outdented) row's dates flash.

This can happen if you have low-level task placeholders you haven't loaded dates for yet, but are adding predecessors that point to that row.

In this case, it doesn't feel like a "circular logic" problem, but rather, an irreconcilable difference between Smartsheet's desire to auto-calculate a higher level date field - and not having all the available data to do so in all indented rows' date fields.

Hey Smartsheets? Wouldn't it be kind to "trap" this error and provide a popup with guidance? Or if I've misunderstood why my fix works (just add dates to the indented fields), explain here?

• 2llibby
    2llibby
    edited 02/16/22

DON'T make yourself crazy - if it makes no sense why the fields are flashing and you confirmed your last actions did not create a circular reference, try refreshing the screen.

I have encountered this a few times, went crazy undoing changes and having other fields start flashing.

The refresh always fixes it when nothing else seems wrong.