Linking Cells and then Sorting Source Sheet

EFHuey
EFHuey
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I am working on creating a master list of events, that pulls data from 2 source sheets. I worked out the linking, but when the source sheets are re-sorted it messes up my links on the destination "master list". Is there a way around this? The source sheets are not able to remain static pages and will be used and updated periodically. 

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you provide screen shots or examples of your formulas?

Craig

• I am not using any formulas, just the linking feature embedded in Smartsheet. Is there a better way to link cells ad sort both the destination and source sheets without messing up the linking?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you are able to provide some screenshots, we might be able to work out a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH function. That should give you the results you're looking for.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I understand why sorting would mess up cell-linked values.

Are you sure it isn't messing up the value on the page you are sorting?

Craig

• I think I might be having the exact opposite issue as EFHuey. Maybe. I'm linking several source sheets to a master sheet. Everything is date driven and I want to quickly add data to my source sheets and then resort them to make sure things are in data order. Because Smartsheets is linking specific cells (say A1-C6), I expected that when I resorted my source sheet, the master sheet where my linked data is displayed, would exactly reflect the link cells from the source sheet. So when I resort my source sheet, why do the linked cells not reorder on the master sheet?

When you sort a sheet, the row numbers stay sequential, so data is not always associated with the original row it was enter into. 

Master Sheet.png

Source Cells.png

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!