Lock Filter so "Assigned to" can not turn off

Options
Cathy Fraser
Cathy Fraser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am looking to lock down a filter on a shared task sheet so that the assigned can only see their task. The filter has been setup and and applied as a rule to the sheet, but it appears that the assigned can turn the filter off and see all other task in the sheet. I do not want this to be happen, how can it be stopped? 

I have attached screen shots of the setup (with personal details blanked out).

Hoping someone can help me, as there is no point to the filter if the assigned can turn it off and see all the other task in the sheet. 

Thanks in advance.

Cathy

Capture 5.JPG

Capture 4.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 1.JPG

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Cathy,

Unfortunately, it can't be stopped on the sheet. Can you describe in more detail what your process looks like to see if I have any ideas on how to make it work?

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Cathy Fraser
    Cathy Fraser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The main issue that I have is that yes you can share a sheet with an assigned person and add a filter that only shows their task, but that person is able to turn off that task and than see all the other task on the sheet and we do not want this to happen. 

We should be able to lock down the filter so the assigned is not able to turn it off. 

Regards 

Cathy

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/24/18
    Options

Two more ideas.

1. You could create a report, but they could still go into the sheet if they wanted to.
    2. You could split the sheet to each assignee and have a report to show everything in one place, but this depends on how many different assignees you have.

Would that work?

Regarding the locking of the filter: Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Cathy Fraser
    Cathy Fraser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Andree,

Thanks for the below, but I do not think that would work. It just seems so strange to me that you can not lock down a filter. 

I will just have to keep looking at what else I can do. 

Regards

Cathy

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

I'll let you know if I have any other ideas.

• diane.reddick40501
    Options

I need this requirement as well so that only the person viewing can see what they have been assigned to edit on a master file (without being able to look at the whole file).

Did this enhancement ever happen?

Diane

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Diane, @diane.reddick40501

A solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Dynamic View. Is that an option?

More info: 

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

• Tyler H
    Tyler H ✭✭
    Options

Has this feature ever been added? @Andrée Starå , your suggestion of Dynamic View does not work for my use case because I'm embedding a sheet in "card view" within one of my dashboards to act as a Kanban board.

The web content widget works great within my dashboard. I just wish I could lock down the filter (which only shows tasks assigned to the current user) so I can build my project to scale.

• EquinixJohn
    Options

New to SmartSheet, coming from several MSFT products. Really enjoying what I see so far. I too am looking for a way to lock filters in, for anybody that isn't an Owner/Admin of the Sheet or Report. Privacy... focus... human error prevention, etc. Currently in Planner, people regularly check off the wrong tasks, even ones assigned to other people. Then at the end of the week/month/quarter my QA/QC reveals the mistakes and we have to pull all-nighters to finish on time.

My primary use case for SmartSheet will be to assign ~750 monthly tasks (tickets generated by our Computerized Maintenance Management System), split out among team members. Up to the first deadline, we only want the assigned personnel worrying about their own work orders. Closer to the final deadline, we unlock the un-finished tasks. Anybody picking up extra work is rewarded where possible. I currently do this with Planner and Excel, some MSFT Power Automations, and lots of manual intervention. I am still learning, and got a great solution using a Sheet + Report with a CurrentUser type filter.