Unrecognized or Invalid Emails??

Sheetboy James
edited 12/09/19 in API & Developers

When sharing sheets between My account and Others(business partners/clients), I often run into unrecognized email accounts warnings/alerts...

(and I have to drop what I'm doing and setup a contact in "My Smartsheet Contacts").

Wondering how common of a need this might be.  I might invest a bit of time to come up with a solution... If anyone has one, your input would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Isaac Jose
    Isaac Jose Employee
    edited 10/22/18

Hello James,

Thanks for your post! It sounds like you're sometimes required to create a personal contact in My Smartsheet Contacts before you can share your sheets with certain external collaborators. Until now, I've never experienced this behavior, but after seeing your post, I decided to test and attempt to reproduce this.

From my tests, I've only been able to generate a Contact pop-up window that forces me to create a contact before sharing the sheet in one core scenario:

• When any value is entered into the Invite Collaborators section which deviates from the general format of {handle@}@{domain}.{top-level-domain}. The handle and domain must contain at least one letter or number, and the top-level-domain must contain at least two letters. For instance "isaac@smartsheet.c" does not pass this criteria, thus the Contact pop-up is generated

However, unlike what you've described, I haven't been able to workaround the invalid email address by creating a contact in My Smartsheet Contacts, as My Smartsheet Contacts can only be setup with valid email addresses. If a valid email address is entered initially, you shouldn't be prompted to create a contact in My Smartsheet Contacts. If you find that this is not the case, or if you find that you're prompted to create personal contacts even though the address you entered was correct, then I recommend reaching out to the Support Team (https://help.smartsheet.com/contact-002a) with screenshots of the issue you're experiencing to see if we can troubleshoot and determine the expected behavior.

Kind regards,

Isaac J

Smartsheet Support