Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Copying hyperlinked cell data and pasting outside of Smartsheet

Options
JLC
JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi there, I'm trying to find a way to export hyperlinked words from with a Smartsheet cell to outside programs. Would prefer straight copy + paste. When I directly copy the (hyperlinked) cell and paste into a Word doc, for example, only the text is pasted and not the hyperlink. When I export to PDF or Excel the same thing happens. This has become another sore spot on a project that is dependent on Smartsheet. As it stands we are using two columns--Title and Hyperlink--and copying both into an e-mail, selecting and cutting the hyperlink, and manually adding it to the Title text.

Any tips? Hope this makes sense.

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jaye,

This is an odd one, I just did some tests and indeed when I started it would paste the link instead of the  text.  I found also the using the keyboard shortcuts is more reliable than the RMB menu.  When I selected two cells with links in them and the copied and pasted into word it gave me the words rather than the link. I now cannot get itto paste the Link whether I do one cell or multiple cells.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am also encountering an error where after I've added a hyperlink to a cell, I can modify it but not delete it so that the data is just text again. I have to delete the data in the cell and re-type it. Any thoughts??

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

RMB on cell, select Hyperlink.

Select display link and copy Ctl+C

Cancel Hyperlink box

delete cell

Ctl + V to paste display text

James

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that James - a perfectly usable workaround, but wondering why the capability to remove ahyperlink isn't an existing option. 

Anybody have thoughts on how to copy + paste the display text WITH hyperlinked text? Specifically, I need Smartsheet -> Outlook, or Smartsheet -> Word.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry to bump my own post, but still waiting on an answer as to how I can export hyperlinked text in a cell. IE I want to be able to add a hyperlink to text in a cell, copy the text, and paste it into a Word doc/Outlook e-mail, etc and have the text contain the hyperlink. As it stands, when I do this only the text is pasted. We would LOVE to have this functionality as we are depending on business partners to provide us with a link to communications after they've posted them on our website.

EDITED TO ADD: Even when I hyperlink the cell and use the "Send Row" feature to myself to test, I can't copy and paste the hyperlinked text. Instead of showing as the text with hyperlink, it pastes as JUST the hyperlink. Any thoughts?!?! A fix for this would be VERY beneficial for our team :)

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jayne,

Have you sent this issue to Support@Smartsheet.com. They are uually quite good at responding, even if its a sorry it cannot be done.

James

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Hi Jaye, as you have seen, it is not possible to copy and paste the hyperlink URL between applications - it will only copy the text. As for emails, I just tested this and my sent row included the text and the URL, allowing me to click on the hyperlink to get to the website and right click on the hyperlink and copy the URL. Are you experiencing different behavior? 

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Travis, we have found the same but are looking for a way to copy and paste everything into an email in Outlook. So unfortunately, while this "works" for us, it's not what we're ultimately looking for! Thank you for trying.

This discussion has been closed.