Restrict Users on specific Rows and / or Columns

alifarhan82
alifarhan82 ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a massive sheet that have many collaborators updating their tasks and percentages. 

Is it possible for me to LOCK Rows and just allow specific users access to that specific Rows or Column. 

For exmaple: David Doyle can only edit Row 10 and not any other Row?

This will prevent any other user to make changes to other's data by mistake or on purpose. 

Please help. 

Thanks 

2018-10-29 11_17_44-(7) AMHSA Tracking Departments - Smartsheet.jpg

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/29/18

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not possible natively, but with the new premium add-on Dynamic View you could set it up that way.

https://www.smartsheet.com/product/dynamic-view

If you could use update requests that would also work.

You could also set up rules that would lock and unlock rows when something specific has happened.

Would any of the above options help/work?

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi alifarhan82, 

While Andree is technically correct, editors do have editing access to the entire sheet, another workaround might be creating him a report for just his tasks/tickets. Reports filter data by settings you declare and provide only the rows that he needs to see. This might help reduce David Doyle's interference on other people's rows. You would need some data in the sheet to filter the data by, but if the main row is the only row you want him to see/edit, then you would just provide him that single row in a report by filtering down that data. One way I have done this in our course development process is by creating a hidden column that contains a keyword indicator for each major row of our process, then I create a report that is looking for that keyword in the hidden column. Now, technically, David would still have access to the rest of the data, but not showing it to him off-hand would limit his opportunity and make it more difficult for him to locate and edit the other rows. 

Let me know if you have any questions.  

https://help.smartsheet.com/videos/smartsheet-reports

• alifarhan82
    alifarhan82 ✭✭✭

Hi, 

Can you please help me in the below:

You could also set up rules that would lock and unlock rows when something specific has happened.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Of course!

With Alerts & Actions, you can set up rules that will lock and unlock rows automatically when specific changes happen.

Ok?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Doyle54
    Doyle54 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andree - What I keep hoping for is that Dynamic View has an Action & Alerts function or in Sharing there is a company name that is checked in each row via a column for a vlookup or index type of row targeting.  That way john.smith@xyz.com only looks at cases marked in a company column as xyz.  First, am I stating my challenge adequately.  Second, is there a simple way to affect the above? Carey

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Carey,

Excellent ideas! Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

It's fairly straightforward to structure what you describe above.

• Zach B
    Zach B ✭✭✭

Any chance something like this may be in the pipeline?

We have a sheet that we use as a scheduling tool and would like to add financial data, but we would need to restrict that information to certain users (i.e hide the column). Creating a report isn't an option because card view is how the schedule is primarily utilized and card view is not yet available in report view .

• We "solved" a similar issue by setting up a filter for each person that filters out everyone else's work based on the "Assigned To" column. Out of sight, out of mind. Technically, they could still change the data on other people's rows, but they would have to manually turn off the filter to do so.

This worked for us, but we also only had 5 people we had to make filters for. I could see this being less helpful if you had 100's of people that needed this.

• SDB_Jason
    SDB_Jason ✭✭✭

So would dynamic view also apply to giving someone commenter permissions on a specific row and keeping them from seeing the rest of the sheet?

SDB-Jason

"Jack of all digital trades."