Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Is there a way a Viewer user add a comment to a discussion bubble?

Hi! I have a smartsheet with open tasks for our client that we are working on. I would like the client to be able to see the smartsheet but with these conditions:

- that she can't edit the text of the rows

- that she can't move the rows around

- BUT she can add a comment to a discussion bubble (or elsewhere in the sheet if this is not possible, have a way for her to indicate approval of the task by making a comment in only one column?)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Susanne, assuming you are the Admin of the sheet and you make your client an editor then they can add to discussions. If you dont mind them seeing the whole sheet but want to stop them changing anything except say one Column (their column) then Lock all the other columns. 

• Thank you, Richard! That's a great idea. Yes, I am the admin of the sheet. Will locking the columns prevent my client from dragging rows to new locations or reorganizing the sheet? She wants to sort the rows into categories that make sense to her, but I need them to stay as is for efficiency for my team. 

I have created a red/yellow/green priority indicator column which I could unlock as well for her to make edits there in addition to the discussion bubble.

Appreciate your fast reply and your advice!

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    • Susanne, this should work ok for you. 
    • Editors can ... Filter, sort rows, and freeze columns for their own purposes, but can’t save these changes. ( This from the help pages) 
    • What we always recommend is use a spare email address to share to yourself first to test out your ideas so you have confidence you have the control you need. Good luck RichardR
This discussion has been closed.