Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Suggestion: Ability to choose a form for update request

Options

Comments

• Bob Zasuly
    Options

Yes, this thread is pretty old so I assume no solution is coming soon, but ditto the comments that it's very tedious (actually impractical) to have to select which fields to include/exclude in an update request.  We need the ability to create a form or template that we can use that includes only the fields we want.  My users don't have the time to sift through all the fields on the form and they just ignore the request.  Thx

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dbochan26051
    Options

Admins really need to have the ability to pre-configure which fields to include in an update request.  I have two key types of update requests being sent by my users..each only needs a few key fields, but the fields are different for each type of request.  Sorting through selecting/deselecting fields is too much to ask users to do for each update request.  The alternative of sending all fields is too overwhelming for recipients...I'd like to give the users the ability to choose to send "Update Request Type A" or "Update Request Type B" - each would include only the fields predetermined to be relevant to that type of update request.

Please keep this request and thread in the queue for solutioning with the Smartsheet team - I am sure those brainiacs can come up with something!  wink

• codyhaight
    Options

I think the original request on this thread is that we want to send a "form completion request". That is, an email goes out at a scheduled time, asking the recipient to complete a form, thus creating a brand new row on the sheet.  Sort of like a "survey" function. Is that possible?  

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Cody,

It is possible, but not as its own Alerts & Actions rule. You'll need to create an Automatic Notification and as a delivery setting, copy and paste a form link in the body. More information on delivery settings you can modify while creating (or editing) a notification rule can be found in the help center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/542904-using-notifications

You can find the form link on your sheet by opening your sheet and clicking the Forms tab at the bottom.

• Jason Berry
    Options

Hoping someone at Smartsheet is reviewing this thread although I am not sure the original suggestion was clear

1) The ability to save a "template" for update request email, this would store all the selected sheet row fields as preferences

2) It would also be good to be able to remove the "Smartsheet" branding from the update request email as this can be off-putting for the recipient.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jason,

I hope you are well.

See my post from last month on Update Requests

http://ronin-global.com/2018/02/20/smartsheet-set-up-update-requests-to-increase-workflow-velocity/

It may be a solution for (1)

For (2), I would suggest looking at either Typeform (www.typeform.com) or JotForm (www.jotform.com), in conjunction with Zapier to remove the branding.

Any third party Form Builder might do, but both of those Form Builders received major updates in February. I'm leaning towards JotForm for my most of my needs, but I'm behind in my testing the new functionality.

Craig

• jrehm35926
    Options

Custom Templating Update request Form;

Is it possible to use a webform as an update request form?

Jill Rehm

adavida@dupagehabitat.org

• glenaz54081
    Options

Travis (or whoever is at SmartSheet monitoring the community), is there an update on this?  I too am looking to have a web form "front end" for the users to update their information.  The ability to require a field, customize the label, provide help section, etc. is necessary, and it seems it would be easy enough to overlay the form on top of the update request.  Just curious on where things stand here, but will also look at Craig suggestions.

My use case is I'm managing a table of adjunct faculty for a university.  I'd like to use the "update row" for the faculty to update any new courses they'd like to teach, update their bio, profile picture, recent awards/publications, etc.  I've created a form to collect this information for new faculty but would like to use a different form for "updating" this information on a quarterly/semester basis.

2018-07-24 (2).png

• Keith Tham
    edited 08/14/18
    Options

Please add vote for this as well.

As would like to send the branded/customized form however linked only to the row. 

Have pre-filled a field with an inside coding so can match the new data to an associated project. 

i.e "Send Update Request...use Form option"

Thanks,

-Keith

• janwillem
    Options

Really looking for this option as well. Use case is professionals for we keep their CV in our files. They need to update that on a regular basis.

Not all fields are needed to be updates, some are just for "us".

So the: request update, use .... form would be highly appreciated.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Until Smartsheet can deliver on your exact needs, check out this methodology I developed to leverage the Update Request functionality:

http://ronin-global.com/2018/02/20/smartsheet-set-up-update-requests-to-increase-workflow-velocity/

Craig

• Katie D
    Katie D ✭✭
    Options

This has my vote, too.

• chayward73126
    Options

Any updates on being able to format/pre-fill an update request in the same way that we can with a form? Having this feature would make it WAY easier to coordinate with users who aren't Smartsheet junkies like I am :-)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

What's your use case? How would you want to use it?

I might have a workaround.

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.