Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Suggestion: Ability to choose a form for update request

It would be much useful if I can choose which form should used when I sending an update request. Sometimes I need to make some fields required or read-only, but the default form of update request is not allows to do this. One possible scenario to accomplish this is to allow selecting a webform that created in underlying sheet when sending an update request.

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Dorjsuren, apologies but I dont understand what you are asking. Could you please clarify?

Are you asking a question about web forms or update requests?

Web forms are used to add new data to a sheet while update requests are used to edit existing data in your sheet.

With both web forms and update requests, you can choose which columns you want to include. 

Thanks!

• Hi Travis, I want to make some fields required or read-only when sending an update request. But, current version of update request doesn't allow to do this. So, I'm suggesting to add a selection field to "Send Update Request" form. By allowing to have a such field, I can choose my own form, that created in Web Forms tab, as a form of update request. If this were possible, our update request could have required or read-only fields, because I can customize a form to my own design.

• Hi Dorjsuren/Travis

I would like this also.

We have various forms which are used for people to create 'new' rows of data in a Sheet. You can also send an update request to a recipient and select the columns etc you wish to include. However, it would be great if you could choose if the update request could go out using one of the forms we have already created. 

The resons for this is because we use a mixture of hidden, mandatory and custom lables in our forms to make the form more user freindly. The idea could then be that the admin fills our some data in the sheet, such as due date, work instructions, then pushes out the request utilising a designed form so that the end user gets a nice pre-populated, tailored and user friendly form - one that doesnt require you to de/select every column you need to send out each time. 

I think there has already been a few requests for admins to have the ability to save a templated of the colums used in update requests.

Travis, can you see where Im coming from on this?

Thanks 

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 12/07/15

Dorjsuren and Stuart, thanks for clarifying!

While there is not a way to make an update request field required, you can make fields read only by locking the column.

I will submit both your votes to our Product team for the ability to mark fields as required when filling out update requests! 

• This is a great suggestion! I would like to have this feature also.

• I would also vote for this.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Jay and Alisa - I have tracked your votes!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And my vote as well.

Craig

• Joelle Feig
    edited 01/29/16

I agree - I would like to be able to apply the same formatting and rules from an existing web form to an update request in the same sheet.  would make it much more user friendly and visually appealing.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks Craig and Joelle - your votes have been tracked. 

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And my vote too please.

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

Stuart is on the money.  We need the ability to save a customized template for update requests.  In my case, I only need certain columns to be updated.  Having to de-select the unnecessary ones from each update request (and there could be dozens each day) is a horrible waste of time.

• System
    System Employee Admin
    edited 03/13/17

I realize this thread is aging but I would like to see this feature, as well. We use webforms to collect information from individuals outside our agency and can provide significantly more prompting using a webform than when using field names as is done in update requests. If we could use a webform for update request we would have much more control of what the user sees and how much information they have regarding appropriate entries into the fields.

• Hi Jan,

I've got your vote down for this on our enhancement request list for further consideration.

• Hi,

+1 here as well !

Having to select or deselect each column for each and every update request is a huge waste of time. Having an option to save a selection of columns would be an awesome feature to add.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.