Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Suggestion: Ability to choose a form for update request

Options
13»

Comments

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know if this is even on the table 4 years later, but this has my vote! (being able to restrict what columns can/can't be edited in an update request)

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• cadkinso97416
    Options

I would also like these capabilities:

1.  Ability to have read-only fields included in an update request.  My current workaround is to lock the columns.

2. Ability to store (by name), template request update templates - these could have a different introduction and different fields displayed.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Great ideas and I agree! Those would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• alexa.llibre
    Options

+1 on this from me too - we have so many examples of forms for new data, where we are unable to do the same for current/existing data. Need to find ways to make this process easier for the non-power users to ensure that Smartsheet stays relevant for our team! Thanks.

• Jamie Briggs
    Options

Are we any closer to this four years later?

This seems like a no-brainer. Field selection for the update request already exists, saving the format for future use is the obvious next step.

My requirement is to be able to have a user send an update request for an existing row to another user, and specify a pre-configured form to use for the update, so that the updating user only gets the subset of fields relevant to them. This form should be able to include some fields as read-only (e.g. name and description fields that identify the record that the updating user is entering information for).

I don't want the user to have to select the fields each time, as this is a massive waste of resources and is prone to error.

I don't want to lock columns, because different sets of users will be updating different sets of columns, and I need a form to be customized for each group.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jamie,

A solution that would be perfect is the premium add-on, Dynamic View. Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jay Lim
    Options

I have a similar requirement as Jamie Briggs.  I am using Automation to send update requests to users, and have pre-selected fields that is sent as an email by Smartsheet.  We include some fields that provide information, e.g. project name, project description, dates, etc. so that users can update the row based on those information, but those fields should be read-only. i.e. we don't want them changing project name, descriptions nor any dates.

So, my requirements are, be able to select the fields for requesting an update, and also be able to toggle which fields are read-only, without having to lock the column.

This discussion has been closed.