Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can you assign muliple resources to a task without duplicating the row?

Options
Emma Thelwell
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Currently, I am having to list the same task on muliple rows to assign different resources to them. Is there a way to assign mulitple resources to the same task without having to duplicate the tasks over and over again? There is a lot of repetitive content that is doubling the size of my Smartsheet.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/26/15
    Options

Emma, the reason why there is no way to do what you ask, is because it defies logic to make more than one person responsible for the same task. You could make a team leader responsible for their Team? But if you make two people responsible, who is the lead/ follower? The answer is the ONE responsible person. 

If you are wanting to allocate the work out to each of those team members then use Reports having inserted data triggers into your master sheet that allow you to select individual to do lists by Responsible person OR by a Data trigger eg Blue team, Red Team etc. 

Hope that helps? RichardR

• The trouble with "Blue team, Red Team etc." is the same with "Specialty" (possibly covered by several people) vs. one person's name: it doesn't consolidate.

I mean if John is in the Blue team then I would expect both to be impacted when either John or Blue Team are booked in.

To my work, allocating people instead of teams makes sense in the short term but teams would be nice in the long run to plan HR.

• MPCuddy
    MPCuddy ✭✭
    Options

Emma:

I use two assigned columns, 'Lead and Resource' as First and Second placeholders.  That way my Team knows who has the ball and who is in the second/subordinate/support position.

• MPCuddy
    MPCuddy ✭✭
    Options

Emma:

I use two assigned columns, 'Lead and Resource' as First and Second placeholders.  That way my Team knows who has the ball and who is in the second/subordinate/support position.

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We also used two columns Assigned 1 and Assigned 2. However, note that Resource Management function in SS only pulls resource allocation on the first Assigned To column.

• Mumprenuer
    Options

Question on this

Assigning the task is one thing, what if 'others' need to be involed in 'minor' subtasks or need to comment on the task?

This is where I am struggling - maybe I need to ask this in the discussion question -

However, I find we end up with way too many rows if we break the taks down so small.  Often we need two or more people to comment on a task - so we have created columns which check box's for each team member to be 'notified'.

Then there is an issue with too many discussions going on on the same row.

Any one have any ideas on how to address this issue?

Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all,

Yes, assigning multiple people to a task is now available.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518335-assigning-people-to-a-task

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

--

Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that you can now quickly & easily assign tasks to multiple people. To do so, check the new "Allow multiple contacts per cell" checkbox in any contact column. The cells in that column will then allow up to 20 people to be added.

You can still leave that option unchecked when you only want a single person to be assigned to a task at a time.

Adding multiple contacts to a cell is useful not only for assigning people, but also for other scenarios where you want to associate multiple stakeholders with a row. For example, you might want those people to receive notifications when the row changes, or you may want them to appear in reports and filters.

For some projects, you may want to add 2 contact columns: one for the primary owner, and another for additional team members.

We welcome you to try it out and let us know what you think.

- Daniel

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Griff
    Options

Thanks.  This is really helpful.  But I really need multiple contact columns to be assigned as resources for resource management.  You mention having 2 contact columns: one for primary owner and another for additional team members.  This is exactly what I'd like to do, but I need both to show in the resource view.  Possible?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

Unfortunately, they have to be on separate rows so you'd have to make a copy of the main row.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

I think we will see a lot of improvement coming out of Smartsheet recent acquisition of 10 000 ft.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.