Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Recurring Task List

TF
TF
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I am trying to see if anyone knows a way to setup a recurring task that would be due on a given day of the month, i.e. 3rd business day of each month.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/23/15

TF,

If by recurring task, you mean creating a new task row after a task is completed, not without programming via the API or using a third party app.

You could send a Reminder on the 3rd of the Month, however.

You'd want a formula to calculate the day based on another field you enter.

It might be a little complicated but not so hard to do.

I'd want to know your workflow, for example

- what changes when the task is complete?

- is it always the 3rd workday of next month until complete - that is from 1/7/16 (since 1/6 would be the last time the task was done) to 2/3/16, the due date would be 2/3/16.

The way I've done recurring tasks in the past is to send a Reminder and then create the next row / task when I finish the task and update Smartsheet.

If that is also OK, then the last thing to know would be if there is a date to trigger off of in the row.

Hope that helps.

Will be happy to help with that formula if you can clarify your needs.

Craig

• TF
    TF
    edited 12/23/15

It would be something in the form of a report is due each month by the third business day.  I was hoping for a way to create a new task for the next month as soon as you marked the current one complete.  I am given to understand that that is a feature request but no indication if it is happening anytime soon in an upcoming release.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

TF,

You might want to check out Zapier.

https://zapier.com/app/recommendations/smartsheet/#content

That is something the app can do and if that is all you use it for, the free version might suffice.

Craig

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/23/15

Zapier could work for some of this. Set the Zap trigger as however you mark a task as complete. The Zap could copy the contents of the row to a new row. You would have to go in and adjust the date, but this would at least do some of the work for you. 

Another option is to send a recurring update request (once a month for example) on the row with the recurring task. 

This discussion has been closed.