Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Max number of rows?

Options

What is the maximum number of rows for a sheet? I'm getting errors when uploading but I don't know what the limit is.

Also, are there any workarounds to the limit?

Thank you.

Comments

• Scott Lynch
    Options

Hi Kevin,

The max number of rows per sheet is 5000, but i believe you have the option to contact tech support if you need to increase this. 

This restriction always causes me problems working in a 1000 plus bedroom hotel. I have to split projects up between sheets and link cells.

Regards

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Large sheets will increase the time needed to load and save your data. Smartsheet currently enforces the following maximum sizes on sheets to minimize encountering speed issues:

* Max rows: 5000

* Max columns: 200

* Max cells: 200,000

For sheets approaching this size we recommend taking a look at ways you can move completed items to another sheet, split up data into different time frames or other logical groupings, or remove columns that might be no longer needed.

• Rod Norton
    Options

Are these limits the same for all platforms including Enterprise customers?

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Rod - yes this is the limit for all users. These limits are based on sheet stability and not plan type. 

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Will there be an increase in the size limit in the near future? I see some potential areas for Smartsheet, but the sheet limit stops us, so they continue to use Excel... ;-(

Blessings,

Loann

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

Hi Loann-- At this point, this isn't on our short-term roadmap, due to concerns about sheet stability and usability with the addition of more rows. I've passed your feedback on to our Product team!

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you - and I understand that stability is top tier of importance!

• Callsidd
    Callsidd
    edited 03/14/17
    Options

HI Kennedy,

Just going through this discussion and looking at date as well when this discussion took place but I think despite given your feedback to product team, the issue still stands the same.

Regards,

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 03/14/17
    Options

Hello Callsidd—

At this time, we're focusing on improving the overall stability of the application, and as such, that takes absolute priority over increasing the size limitations of a sheet. Although this discussion is from last May, these developments take a lot of time and effort, and we want to make sure that we do it right.

Last August we revamped our formula engine on the backend to improve the speed, but our biggest move to increase stability was early this year when we moved away from Rackspace and to our own dataservers. 

Once we're confident that we offer a smooth application experience, we can expand the size limitations, but we don't have a timeline for this.

For now, we recommend people break up their sheets in to smaller logical volumes.

• Jennifer Curry
    Options

Please post when the limit of rows could be increased beyond 5,000.  The increased limit would be benefical to my Company.  Thanks in advance. 

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello Jennifer,

We post all of our updates to Smartsheet on our release notes page. Check back there periodically to see what we've released: https://www.smartsheet.com/release-notes

• SabaM
    Options

Hello,

Is there any updates related to Row limitations ? 

• cgselph40466
    Options

i am getting an error message about sheet sizer but according to what is published I am no where near the limit. I have emailed support 3 times and received no response. Is there anyone who can help me with this?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you post a screen shot?

Craig

• tebow
    tebow
    edited 05/21/18
    Options

Hi there,

A workaround for this could be to create a "Report" that merges multiple sheets without any row limitation. 

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522214-creating-reports

Otherwise, as said earlier,  Smartsheet support may be able to increase the max size of your sheet on an individual basis. 

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.