Drop down Cell calculation

s.kinsman76601
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Can anyone explain how to create a formula for adding up amounts from a specific cell that is a drop down? For example I have multiple clients that I can select from my drop down list. Each time there's a transaction from that specific client, I want to have the amount calculated in a separate column. How do I add the amount from each client from my drop down list to a separate cell that shows that clients total?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• What im using this for is basically a sales tracker. In one of the columns I have a drop down list of each client. What im looking to do is have a separate column set up so when the client does make a purchase, I can see the totals for each client.

Smartsheet.JPG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

There are a few different ways to set this up. Either with a column with the clients in the top of the sheet or beside all other information or in another sheet with the help of cross-sheet formulas.

Try this.

Add a column called Client List where you list all your clients.

Client 1

Client 2

Client 3 and so on.

Add another column called Total Sales / Client and add the formula below. The formula will look at the Client List column in the same row and give you the total of that client.

=SUMIF(CLIENT:CLIENT; [Client List]@row; TOTAL:TOTAL)    

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.    

=SUMIF(CLIENT:CLIENT, [Client List]@row, TOTAL:TOTAL)

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.