Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Getting the most recent item in a column

Dave Ungar
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am trying to create a project status entry form that keeps a running log of updates - and I want to take the most recent update and roll it up to a summary report.

The data sheet looks like this: (attached) 

Line 1 is the summary line that will link to a master scorecard elsewhere.  The value of [Report Month] on line 1 is =Max(Children()).  I want to associate that with what's in the [Narrative] column from that same row. ("Borax")  ... or I could even live with what the last value at the bottom of the column is.  (=Narrative3).  How can I dynamically put the "3" in that formula? (=Narrative.n).  

Or, is there another way to approach this? I want to create a webform where a user can input a status updata about a line specific to them, but not have access to the entire project.  

Untitled.png

Comments

• Brian Goodell
    Brian Goodell ✭✭
    edited 01/29/16

Seems to me that the webform update will only update their individual items. Whether they see the entire project or not is up to your permissions for collaborators, I think.

• Have you tried update requests? This allows you to send a single row or group of rows to anyone through email. The recipient can view and edit the rows and any changes will be reflected in the sheet. The users will ONLY have access to the specific rows you send.

http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/en/portal/articles/504779-using-update-requests

For the formula, I cant think of one that will display the text or cell reference of the cell next to the cell containing the latest date. I'll keep thinking on this! 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/30/16

Dave,

For getting "Borax", you might be out of luck (I hope someone shows me I'm wrong).

Smartsheet does not support Lookups (in Excel, VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP).

It is also not appear to allow the cell reference to be dynamic.

I can tell determine "3" but haven't gotten =[Narrative](determined 3) to work, despite several different attempts.

Like Bob, I'll keep thinking on this.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.