Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Start-to-Finish Predecessors Doesn't Work as Expected with Multiple Predecessors

Jane
Jane
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi there,

I'm running into a roadblock I'm hoping someone could help with.

I'm planning my schedule backwards from an end date, and using Start-to-Finish Predecessors as recommended in this article (http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/765727).

Here's the problem: I have a task (let's call it Task 1) that must be finished before two different tasks can start (let's call them Task 2 and 3). But, when I use the Start-to-Finish Predecessor (Task 1, shows 2SF and 3SF as Predecessors) it allows Task 2 to start before Task 1 finishes. However if I delete Task 3 as a SF Predecessorfor Task 1, it correctly aligns Task 2 to start after Task 1.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tags:

Comments

• Start to Finish predecessor means that when Task 2 and 3 finish, task 1 will start.

It sounds like you need to set it to Finish to start, meaning task 1's finish will be the start for task 2 and 3. Add a -1d to the predecessor if you want task 2 and 3 to start on the same day task 1 finishes. I hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.